Cleanup not working

Reaction score
So just the cleanup works (altho it removes thumbnails but sometime later adds the same amount back idk what's up with that?)
But the clean up of system files isn't working. I try to remove windows updates and it actually added like 500MB onto my C drive instead of removing like 3gb of updates and some MBs of other stuff. I could really use that extra space I only have 744MB on C 7,28MB on D 1 gb on E. I disabled downloading of any further updates btw,

What can I do?

And an additional question: are there some other ways to cleanup at least a few bit of space without risks? some that aren't that known ofc

Reaction score
Try right clicking Disk cleanup and ru8nning as Administrator. It will remove your unlinked system files and a few other unwanted items.

Reaction score
Disk Cleanup has a bug, the 3.9GB of update files is bogus.
Also, it does not clean c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download
Do not remove the folder, just everything inside it.

Reaction score
Try right clicking Disk cleanup and ru8nning as Administrator. It will remove your unlinked system files and a few other unwanted items.

I did run it as admin tho

Disk Cleanup has a bug, the 3.9GB of update files is bogus.
Also, it does not clean c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download
Do not remove the folder, just everything inside it.

I'm not sure what bogus means?

the softwaredistribution comment is for the extra question? what are the files there for?

Reaction score
Facts, even from MS, are unclear about the Software distribution folder. It is connected to the update procedure. I would guess that it is ignored by the cleaner, as it will be quickly recreated on the next reboot and update

The update files which disk cleaner addresses, are those left from the update from one OS to another. Ms probably felt it wise to leave it intact - at least for the present-
pf22.- Did you tick off all the boxes in the Disk cleaner window?

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I admit that the Disk Cleaner which comes with the OS, is far from 100% perfect. It's main purpose is only to clear out genuine rubbish. I , periodically, clean manually, and then run Ccleaner, a free program, which does a better job.

Reaction score
Facts, even from MS, are unclear about the Software distribution folder. It is connected to the update procedure. I would guess that it is ignored by the cleaner, as it will be quickly recreated on the next reboot and update

The update files which disk cleaner addresses, are those left from the update from one OS to another. Ms probably felt it wise to leave it intact - at least for the present-
pf22.- Did you tick off all the boxes in the Disk cleaner window?

View attachment 4840

It's kinda too risky for me to remove that then :/

Yes i marked all that are needed, even sometimes those that are empty

https://s10.postimg.org/ei6zbuzrt/dwafwa.png

I use ASC which is similar to CCleaner

But the main point of the topic is the Disk Cleanup that you get with windows (I have win 7 ult 32bit sp1 btw but that shouldn't really matter that much for this topic I'd guess)

Ask a Question