Clearing login password in Windows 10

Reaction score
I have made a big mistake somewhere in trying to remove the login password in win 10 (using netpliz). Now when my pc boots I get my user name with "The Username or password in incorrect, try again."
My only option is to click "OK.' When I do so another username appears with a password box to sign in and "Reset password" is also listed. I click reset password, my old original outlook address appears with a password box. I type in my password for the outlook address and I am in, getting the Welcome screen.

I originally typed in netpliz in he run box, unchecked the box and asked me for two passwords. I came up with two different passwords (where I think I made the error) and then closed out the window.

Does anyone know how to get this old man out of this goat roping to login on windows 10?

Reaction score
I have the same problem and have been asking for help for the past week. Anyone out there have an answer?

Reaction score
I originally typed in netpliz in he run box, unchecked the box and asked me for two passwords. I came up with two different passwords (where I think I made the error) and then closed out the window.

It does not ask for 2 passwords.
You were asked to enter the password in the 1st box, then reenter the same password in the 2nd box to confirm.
If the 2 passwords did not match, you would get an error message and it would not continue until you had the 2 passwords matched.

If you closed out the window without fixing the passwords error, your netplwiz command would be null and void.
So, I don't see how that would cause you the trouble you mentioned.

I click reset password, my old original outlook address appears with a password box. I type in my password for the outlook address and I am in, getting the Welcome screen.

If I understand that correctly, you are able to log in with the password, the normal way. Yes ?
If yes, and if you still want to, run the netplwiz again.
Make sure you are to enter the same password twice to validate each other.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Well when I go to run, type in "netplwiz" (after my error) now in User Accounts, the box is unchecked. And my outlook email account is highlighted in blue. There is no password boxes there. So I supposed I will have to use about 4 steps to log into windows 10 forever. Thanks for your replies.

Reaction score
After you enter user accounts is the apply button grayed out? If so checking or clearing the user must enter box will activate it. When cleared clicking apply will bring up an enter and confirm password box. Enter password twice to create entries two places in registry. Click ok in password box and user accounts. Now restart and you may see a brief flash of password during boot which will occur without password entry.

Reaction score
Well when I go to run, type in "netplwiz" (after my error) now in User Accounts, the box is unchecked. And my outlook email account is highlighted in blue. There is no password boxes there. So I supposed I will have to use about 4 steps to log into windows 10 forever. Thanks for your replies.

minusten,
I would suggest that you do a system restore.
Pick a day BEFORE you attempted running netplwiz command as your restore point.
The purpose of doing System Restore is to "roll back " your system to a day when everything was working fine.

Here is how...............
Right click at Start > select Control Panel > top right, at View by, click the pointer and select small icons > select Recovery > select Open System Restore > wait for it to load > click Choose a different restore point > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points" > from the list, select a date BEFORE you tried netplwiz as your restore point > click Next > just follow the prompts to start system restore.

It will take quite a while.
When finishes, it will restart.

When system restore is finished, you should not have to go through that "4 steps" to log in.
You should be able to login with password the normal way.

Now if you still want to try netplwiz, go ahead.

Reaction score
Not to beat this to too many details but I re-read your posts and when you say your account was highlighted in blue that's exactly where clicking apply should bring up the two password entry box.
If apply is not active that's because the user must enter box wasn't changed. If it wasn't checked now check it and then clear it which will activate apply. Clicking apply is what brings up the two password box. If you get this far restart should work.

Ask a Question