Clock stuck in 2115?

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a new laptop with windows 10 on it, and I'm having a huge problem with the clock. It's stuck on December 4th, 2115. I've tried the following:

1. Manually resetting the clock. When I try to do this, the boxes to type in the date simply don't let me enter any input. I can change the time, however.

2. Resetting the date in BIOS. When I do this, upon returning to windows, the clock is just back to the bad December 4th, 2115 date.

3. Synchronizing online (which should be done automatically). When I do this, I get the message "An error occurred while windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com"

I read somewhere that if the time is resetting itself in BIOS it might be a sign of a faulty CMOS battery that would reset everything back to the time and date of manufacture. But the time is being kept track of. For example, when I first attempted fixing the time problem on this laptop, it had the time as 3:50. Now it's 4:16, and BIOS reflects this, it simply resets itself back to the time it originally held when I try to reset it. It's like the computer is synching with something that thinks it's 2115, and won't let me change the time whatsoever. This is a huge problem, because it's causing certificate errors whenever I try to access any website.

Reaction score
Just an update, I've tried a factory reset. The passage of time was preserved (clock now reads 823 AM) but I still cannot in any way change the time.

Reaction score
I suppose the first thing I would ask is have you contacted the Manufacturer?

Your system really is looking at 10 years in the future or is that a typo?

I would turn off the automatic updates and see what it does. A battery problem normally resets back to an earlier time. Maybe the firmware was setup incorrectly.

Try loading the Bios defaults and see if the bios time resets correctly. Windows 10, as far as I know, has not caused such a problem. But if it is picking up a time setting 10 years off it may have a conflict trying to decide how to set it.

Reaction score
It's actually 100 years off. I turned off automatic updates and tried resetting the bios defaults and the clock's still wrong.

Reaction score
I'm really good at math, huh?

Have you tried setting the bios back 100 years? It may not go that far back but it might shake something loose.

I can't think of any reasonable explanation for what you are seeing..

Is Dec 4th the day the computer was configured by the OEM?

Reaction score
I don't know when the computer was configured, I guess it MIGHT have been on december 4th. I did just order it.

I already tried resetting the date in bios, it did go back 100 years, but once out of bios and back in windows it just went right back to the Dec 4th, 2115 date.

It's bizarre, it's like nothing I can do can budge the computer from thinking that roughly 5 hours ago was December 4th, 2115, at 4 AM. Can't manually change the date, can't synch it with an online server, can't even change it in bios without it automatically switching back.

I was hoping for a quick fix, since I needed this laptop for work. I've now contacted the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Let us know what they say. It must be some glitch with the motherboard or some type of firmware error. You shouldn't have to take extraordinary procedures to get a clock working correctly.

Bif

Reaction score
If you can access the CMOS battery,remove it and unplug ac..wait 5 minutes reinstall the battery..plus it back in and boot it up..just a shot in the dark as I've never had this problem.

Reaction score
Happy ending, if one that has me a little confused:

After giving up, and waiting for a call back from the manufacturer, I was playing around with the settings in one last desperate attempt to get the clock to work. I tried just switching around the time a lot. (I could always switch the time, it was the date the computer wouldn't let me manually reset.)

Normally, switching around the time didn't change anything. But suddenly I noticed (didn't note which number I happened to land on) that changing it to one time made the clock jump back to 2076, and suddenly, I could edit the date again. I set it back to the current date and time and turned automatic time update on. Accurate time has so far persisted through restarts and shutdowns and is reflected in bios.

Not really sure what was up exactly, but the computer is operational in every other way.

Reaction score
Did you find an answer to this?
I just bought my daughter a new Asus laptop and the year was stuck on 2115 and it wouldn't update. Trying to manually update it, I could only go back as far as 2046. At one point it said 2076 as well.

I managed to set the correct date by holding down the back arrow on the months setting and going back to June 2016, from 2046!

Have internet connection issues too (multiple other devices connected and working fine). I'm in the middle of trying a factory reset at the moment.

Ask a Question