Color calibration resets upon shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tovah, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Tovah

Tovah

I want to keep my custom color calibration because the default is too dark and too red on my screen, but each time I turn off or restart my pc, it resets to default. I've gone on many google quests to figure it out, I even went to Geek Squad. So far, the only thing that "fixes" my problem is re-calibrating each time I start the laptop, which is very frustrating, and it isn't a real fix.

I found something, after going to:
    Settings>Display>Advanced Display Settings>Display Adapter Settings>Color Management>Advanced

There is a checkbox which is greyed out, so I cannot uncheck it, which says "Use Windows Display Calibration" which I would like to uncheck and see if that fixes my problem. But, I can't uncheck it because it is greyed out.

Here is a picture:
    http://orig12.deviantart.net/f4b5/f/2015/336/7/4/2015_12_02_by_quailmix-d9iu9ca.png

So my question is: Am I even on the right track?? And HOW can I make this something I can uncheck?

Tovah, Dec 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Tovah

Daniel Caputi

I came here hoping to figure this problem out myself. There's many open discussions on the web but not many specific to Windows 10. I've been trying many things and still haven't found a solution.
    I can tell you that I have the "Use Windows Display Calibration" checked. I don't remember exactly how I was able to get that enabled (it was originally grayed out as you say) ... but it doesn't make any difference in my case. The gamma resets every time I sign off and on, reboot, or dock and undock the laptop.
    FYI I have a 4k screen on my laptop with an external 4k display that I dock with at work.
    I hope someone can answer this soon. My workaround is to open the color management dialog, switch to the 2nd monitor settings, then change the default profile twice (there's 2 listed and I simply activate the 2nd one then switch it back to the 1st). Sorry I haven't the time to get too specific here but my feeling is this is just buggy and in time Microsoft will fix it... or not.
    -Dan C.

Daniel Caputi, Dec 14, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Tovah

Daniel Caputi

If anyone is interested, I was able to fix this on my laptop. It has a hybrid graphics configuration with an Intel HD graphics chip and an NVidia GeForce adapter. Apparently, the color management system does not work nicely with this arrangement. To fix the problem, I needed to open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and calibrate the color under display, color settings. I had to run the windows calibration wizard in parallel but made the adjustments using the Intel controls. Once I did that, my custom gamma setting now sticks even after I reboot.
    -Dan C.

Daniel Caputi, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Tovah

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Thanks for sharing that information Daniel.
    Much appreciated.

Trouble, Dec 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements