Column width - daft restriction?

Reaction score
I was hoping to discover my inability to reduce File Explorer column widths below 80 px was either down to some setting I don't know about, or fixable with some clever hack, e.g, in the registry. But so far it seems I'm stuck with this.

I often want far less than 80 px. For several decades, including the last 15 years using XP, I was able to reduce it to just the first letter or less, so this is disappointing. In a folder I might have JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP, with maybe the occasional TIF. All obvious with their first letter.

Win10ColumnRestriction-1.jpg

Is there some advantage I've missed? Looks a daft design change to me.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

If you mean like this for name column:

Untitled.png

Then hover mouse cursor over Name in so it highlights, then move cursor to right side to see double arrow and left-click then slide back to where you want it.

In the above sample image that was as far back as it'd let me go - i.e. 4 letters showing.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks, but that's still 80 px. Same for all columns (except for one called '#', whatever that's intended for, which has a 40 px minimum). 'Name' is not a column I'm fussed about - that's always much wider than 80 px. But for 'Type' or 'File extension' I want to get down to as low as 8 px, which would just accommodate a single character, as I described.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh OK sorry I am with your train of thought now.

That 80 px column width but 40 px for the # column has been around since Windows 7.

I've not bothered to look into that before but out of curiosity will now take a look to see whether its possible to modify the Registry for this or not. I suspect though its hard coded into the Windows OS.

Ask a Question