Compatibility Mode Fail

Reaction score
Hey, guys and gals. Can anyone step me through how to launch an old XP program in Windows 10. I have tried all the comparability options, ran as administrator, etc. I have turned off anti-virus programs and lowered the user account control settings. It's an .iso I have mounted.

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi redcloud111

Do you still have your Windows XP disks and the product key handy?

If you do you could consider installing Oracle's Virtual Box: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Then installing XP into that in order to run your older XP program.

Some of the older programs for XP were not coded very well which may explain why your attempts to run in Compatibility mode are thus far proving unsuccessful. They also tend to require resources that may no longer be present on your current PC and Windows Installation. Have you seen any alerts suggesting a missing driver, software, or anything else?

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hey, I installed from a usb. Would that work with Virtualbox?

Hi,

Version 3.2 onwards for Virtual Box supports USB devices.

The main thing to remember is RAM. XP is not too RAM demanding, but depending on what application you are trying to run in XP, that application may need a decent amount of free RAM to operate smoothly.

If you computer has limited RAM resources you may eventually need to upgrade and add some more RAM, but I imagine for now you would have plenty installed all ready given you are running Windows 10.

The Download page I linked to earlier also has a Document section to the left where you can download in PDF format the User Manual. I'd recommend doing that if you've not used Virtualization before in order to run more than one OS at the same time. If you cannot locate the document for some reason here is the direct link to it:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html

You'll see clear instructions including images on how to install and use Virtual Box in this manual, among other useful information.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hey, guys and gals. Can anyone step me through how to launch an old XP program in Windows 10. I have tried all the comparability options, ran as administrator, etc. I have turned off anti-virus programs and lowered the user account control settings. It's an .iso I have mounted.

Thanks!

Well some XP program won't run in Windows 10 64 bit especially if the program in a WIN16 app and Windows 10 is 64 bit.

Reaction score
Thanks. I was really hoping for some adjustments to Win 10. I have very limited time. Setting up VB may have too steep of a learning curve at this point. Thanks, though.

Ask a Question