Computer gets hung up on spinning dots

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am having a problem with my computer at work and hopefully I can find some answers here. I am assuming my problem started whenever my computer automatically did a windows update, because the problem just started out of the blue. We upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden when I came back from lunch, I hit ctr-alt-delete to log back on to my computer, and I just got the blue screen with the spinning dots. I tried to do ctr-alt-delete again and nothing would happen, it froze my computer up. I had to hold down the button on my computer to turn it off and turn it back on. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen on occasion. I cannot pinpoint what triggers it. Also, I do some work from home using gotomypc. I reboot my machine every day when I leave work, but sometimes I have to leave it on if something is still running. On the occasions that I leave my computer on, if I try to use gotomypc, I get the blue screen with the circle of dots. Since I am not in my office to physically turn the computer off, there is nothing that I can do to fix it until I go back to work the next day. I have told our IT guy about it, and it has him stumped. He said that something is hanging up in the memory, but most often I do not have any programs running when this happens. I am using a Dell desktop with Windows 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kevin

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark, but.....
We've seen some comments regarding the issue that you are describing, associated with USB attached peripherals.
Especially, wireless keyboards / mice and wireless network dongles which for some reason seem to impact the Operating System's ability to complete the "update" process.
My suggestion would be.....
IF you are using any such devices that you disconnect them from the problem computer and see if that resolves your "spinning circles" problem.
Maybe reducing the problem machine to a monitor and USB wired keyboard and mouse, with no other peripherals attached.

Reaction score
Thanks. I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard. I will change them out with USB ones and see if that makes a difference. Thank you for the input.

Kevin

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You bet.
Let us know what you find.
And if they happen to be "Logitech" as this brand seems to come up most often as somehow being involved with the issue.

Reaction score
As luck would have it, both my keyboard and mouse are wireless Logitech. I got a wired keyboard and mouse a few days ago, and it looks like it might be doing the trick. *knocks on wood* Hopefully that was it and I won't be a problem any more. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark, but.....
We've seen some comments regarding the issue that you are describing, associated with USB attached peripherals.
Especially, wireless keyboards / mice and wireless network dongles which for some reason seem to impact the Operating System's ability to complete the "update" process.
My suggestion would be.....
IF you are using any such devices that you disconnect them from the problem computer and see if that resolves your "spinning circles" problem.
Maybe reducing the problem machine to a monitor and USB wired keyboard and mouse, with no other peripherals attached.

Reaction score
I just encountered the same issue - but with the exception of unplugging all of my devices , i'm still seeing the spinning dots. nothing i tried solved the problem. wired kbd etc...safe mode does boot ok, but anything after the dots rule...at this point i'm lost....P.S. - as i have a raid controller on my workstation (it a desktop!) i first thought that the MS update screwed up the RAID driver as usual, but even when i rolled back the driver, same dots, same issue...

Reaction score
Removing my wireless mouse and keyboard did not solve the problem. I am still having the issue and no one seems to know what is causing it. Now I am just hoping we get new machines in our office soon and pray that my new one won't have the same problem.

Ask a Question