Computer Shuts Down Instead of Sleeping

Reaction score
So, as the title says, my computer has recently stopped sleeping completely. When I press the sleep key or tell it to sleep through the start menu it just shuts down. The screen fades like it's sleeping but when I turn it back on it has to go through the entire boot sequence and my session is unsaved.

Any ideas on why this is happening/how I can fix it?

Reaction score
Same with me since Win 10 installed, along with very slow Boot times. Please give a fix to No Sleep cycle. Also lost Mouse Pointer and HP says mouse pad is OK.

Reaction score
Same with me since Win 10 installed, along with very slow Boot times. Please give a fix to No Sleep cycle. Also lost Mouse Pointer and HP says mouse pad is OK.

I think I have found a 'workaround' answer to "Sleep" but it won't damned well "Wake up" problem.

This may not work on all PCs, and I haven't tried it on a laptop, but on my PC if I put it to sleep, whether by the [Start} menu, or by pressing the power button, I do the following to bring it back to life: -

Press the power button, and immediately after, press the "Hard reset" button. The PC bleeps as though it is about to go through a full "Restart", shows all the CMOS data that you get on a first bootup but, and this is the good bit, it skips the pretty view of the beach from inside the cave, and skips the logon window, going straight to the window as you left it when you put it to sleep. All minimised programs are on the task bar, and any program you had fully open reappears exactly as you left it, just as it would have done on a proper "Sleep/Awake" task perform under Win 7. I've tried this with a "Word" document open, a CAD design open, and it works every time. Not a proper 'solution' I know, but it will do until Microsoft get their act together and sort the "Sleep/Awake" problem.

I would be interested, though, if anyone can define the difference between "Sleep" and "Hibernate"

If it helps, my Power options settings are, with a "Balanced" power plan, as follows: -

upload_2016-2-21_12-42-52.png

and my PC Spec is: -

Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2
BIOS Award F9 12/29/2008
OS Windows 10 Professional
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 6400+ @ 3.2GHz
RAM 8GB (4 x 2GB matched) DIMM DDR2
GPU AMD Radeon HD7500 (1GB DDR5 4GHz 128-bit)
Storage (System) Kingston SV30037A240G (240GB, SATA600, SSD. (C: and D)
Storage (Data) WDC WD2500AAJS-75B4A0 (250GB, SATA300, 3.5",HDD. (E: and F)

and, for reference, my bootup time from scratch, including entering my password, is a smidgeon under 2 minutes, depending on how fast I type the password. It is possible, of course, that my SSD may be a contributory factor to this. I regard the SSD as the best upgrade I've ever done to a PC in 30 years of using one!

Hope the info helps,

Tony N

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-21_12-42-22.png
    upload_2016-2-21_12-42-22.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Reaction score
My settings are much the same as yours but I don't use sleep at all power button = power off. I have my desktop and laptop this way. My restart from power off is fast of course as I have an SSD as you do but I am an Intel person not an AMD person <grin> I haven't timed my startup but it is fast. I do logon with a password but that is just personal preference

Reaction score
I find "Sleep" is handy, as I quite often have to leave my PC for a couple of hours or so, and it's good to be able to come straight back to something I was in the middle of. Just thought my 'workaround' might be of help to somebody.

Reaction score
Started happening on my MSI a couple of weeks go also. It *must* be a software driver issue, but no idea which one. On another thread, for ASUS motherboards, reflashing the BIOS seems to help a bunch of people, but no joy for my MSI...

Just curious what your video card/driver is. It's the only thing I manually updated.

Reaction score
Hi Jacques,

for reference my video card is "AMD Radeon HD7500 (1GB DDR5 4GHz 128-bit)" and the driver is "15.200.1062.0", dated 15/072015, but I didn't think that ASUS used AMD stuff.

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

The ASUS people have the exact same problem. Just that their solution didn't work for me. I see you have a relatively old video driver, so I don't think that's it.

The 2 possible culprits are Microsoft proper and an issue with the power supply. Seems that the power supplies have to have a "backup" 5v signal for turning on with a switch and keeping sleep mode active. If that signal is not stable or damaged, it would turn sleep into full power failure.

I'm going to order a new power supply as this is getting on my nerves (I have to recreate my work env. 3x a day) and my PSU is at least 5 years old.

===

BTW, the reset button thing worked for me on a manual sleep request. Will see if it works for automatic sleep

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reset trick doesn't work on auto sleep mode (when I walk away and computer goes to sleep after an hour)

Reaction score
FIXED THE LITTLE BEGGAR!
I have had this problem for several weeks on a Dell XPS desktop. What was particularly annoying was that I have a second older desktop computer running Windows 10, which I use at the same time as the Dell. This second computer was running without problems and since it has had the same windows updates as the Dell, that seemed to rule updates out as the culprit. I tried faffing around with power settings which of course made no difference, nor did flashing the bios. I was looking at Task Manager about an unrelated matter and clicked on the Services tab. There, sitting almost at the top of the list, was an entry called "Adaptive Sleep Service". Ahaa thinks I, could this be it! At the bottom of the services tab I clicked on "Open Services" (you will need to be logged on as Administrator) and the "Services (local)" list opened. I noted that the description was AMD Adaptive Sleep Service which meant it was to do with my video card. I right clicked on Adaptive Sleep Service, clicked on Properties, hit the drop down box for startup type and selected "Disabled". Voila - fixed - no more shutting down when sleeping!

Hope this might help others

Ask a Question