Computer Shutting Down

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's not enough information to actually provide any real help.
How long before it "shuts down".
Are you certain that it is actually "shutting down" and not entering some type of power saving configuration?
Are you getting any type of errors, before it shuts down?
Have you check Event Viewer to see if it is reporting any errors?
Can you start it right back up again? If so how so?
How old is the computer? Provide some information on the specs of the machine.

Reaction score
I recently installed Windows 10 to my hp hard drive and when I switch it on it automatically goes straight into sleep mode and the screen goes black and can't do anything to get to the home page to adjust any settings? Please help. Thanks Jason

Reaction score
Are you certain that it is actually "shutting down" and not entering some type of power saving configuration?
I have an ASUSultrabook, perhaps 3 years old. The computer shuts down at random times and in any program I am in at the time.It is not going into powersaving mode, just turns off. I then have to restart the computer and get a message that the computer shut down improperly. It also shuts down if I connect or disconnect the power adaptor to the computer.HOpe this is enough info as I am not very tech savy

Reaction score
I have an ASUSultrabook, perhaps 3 years old. The computer shuts down at random times and in any program I am in at the time.It is not going into powersaving mode, just turns off. I then have to restart the computer and get a message that the computer shut down improperly. It also shuts down if I connect or disconnect the power adaptor to the computer.HOpe this is enough info as I am not very tech savy

Its a HP Pavillion 500-242ea only bought about 6 months ago. It literally goes black after 15 sec or so after the machine is booted up. Its says entering 'Sleep Mode' then the screen goes black and I can't do anything to see anything on the screen.

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10, my desktop Acer shuts down at random times. Sometimes when the system is idle and sometimes when I am in the middle of working in an application. All power settings that I know of have been set to Never Sleep or Hibernate or Sleep. This is a complete shut down. Doesn't seem to be crashing since it says Windows is shutting down and goes through the normal shut down process. I am able to power up again normally afterward, but lose work if I was doing something when it shut down. The system is about 4 or 5 years old. I wasn't having this problem with Windows 7 prior to the upgrade. I am not familiar with the inner workings of BIOS or hardware, so any help and instruction would be appreciated a lot. I do have an external backup drive plugged into the USB and tried to disconnect that, but the problem continued. I have also noticed other small, odd things occurring like Outlook asking for my password to be entered randomly...did not happen in Win7. Also several programs intermittently say Not Responding and take a couple of minutes to recover so I can continue working.

Ask a Question