computer starts on its own after complete sutdown

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. but ever since I have a problem. I shut the computer down (start bar, power and shut down) and at some point a few hours later the computer starts up again on its own and ideas I'm not very computer literate but I haven't changed anything so can only pin point it to the upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Right click the start button and click Control Panel
Top right "View by:" change that from Category to Small Icons
Click the power options icon
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Make sure it is set to "Shut down"
Save changes if necessary.
Then inspect your advance power plan settings and confirm that you have set the power button there as well.

powerbuton.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dang.... I was hoping it would be simple.
Obviously the computer is not actually shutting down completely. There is no way to start / wake a computer that is off, except a power spike where the computer has been preconfigured in the BIOS to recover in the "ON" state from power failure.
So.... let's try this
Where you went to choose what the power buttons do.... down near the bottom you should see
"Turn on fast startup" there should be a check box next to it. Uncheck it.
You may need to click the link at the top that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable" in order to do so.

Reaction score
Thanks I have done that, I have shut down (which took longer than normal to do) and I'll check in a few hours. Thanks again

Reaction score
that works which is great but now the wifi is on limited. so no internet. if I change the setting back it work fine again any ideas on how to sort that one out thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
any ideas on how to sort that one out
Yep,
ADvanced power settings pertaining to wifi
Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode -> Maximum Performance.
Also
Device manager, expand network adapters, select then right click your wireless adapter and choose properties, select the power management tab and uncheck the box that says Let the computer turn off this device to blah blah

Ask a Question