Computer starts to restore to previous Windows version on launch

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10. After having been away for 6 days something strange is happening when I turn my computer on. The "start screen" displays a message saying "Restoring your computer to a previous version of Windows" and I can see that it is working on doing something. I quickly turned it off.

I have updated antivirus/antimalware programs that I run frequently/automatically.

What can be going on, and is there a way to avoid this restoring to start when I turn my computer on?

Reaction score
Had you previously done the upgrade to 10586 or might your system been trying to do that upgrade and failed causing it to attempt a rollback to the prior install?

If the system was in the middle of some process, turning it off may cause a problem, so I suggest you let it finish, if it will.

Reaction score
Had you previously done the upgrade to 10586 or might your system been trying to do that upgrade and failed causing it to attempt a rollback to the prior install?

If the system was in the middle of some process, turning it off may cause a problem, so I suggest you let it finish, if it will.
I don´t remember being asked to do any manual upgrades to Windows 10. I thought that was always taken care of automatically with Windows 10? When did this "10586" upgrade come out?
Should I start my computer again in normal mode and just let it do whatever it wants to do?

Reaction score
10586 came out a couple of weeks ago and was a major update, like a new build install.

Since I do not really have an alternative way to boot your system, I would have to suggest allow it to finish, if it will. You could download the install media but I don't have the links for that. And again, this is assuming 10586 is involved. If 10586 was completed prior to this situation, I do not know what it might be.

Reaction score
I started my computer again and let it go through the restore to previous version.

I then wanted to check what version I have but couldn´t find where that info is on Windows 10 (how do you find it?). I instead went to Check for Updates and there was the 10586 upgrade so I d/l and installed that, and it is now d/l updates which is taking forever! Hope it doesn´t quit before it´s done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a couple of ways. One is to type winver in the search box on the taskbar. Then select the "best match" at the top. Basically it is type winver in the run box.

Reaction score
There are a couple of ways. One is to type winver in the search box on the taskbar. Then select the "best match" at the top. Basically it is type winver in the run box.
Thank you, and then I see that the upgrade/updates that took place earlier today obviously didn´t work since it says version 10240! Bummer!

Do you or anyone else have a clue as to why it didn´t work even though it said it had d/l and installed 10586 and lots of updates after that to 100% ( and I have restarted the computer after that)?

Ask a Question