Computer Takes Too Long To Shut Down

Reaction score
When you do Windows\Power\Shutdown,
Monitor goes blank immediately, showing no more programs running. However the computer remains on for quite a long time (guess 2~3 mins), before it finally turns off - fan shuts down and everything seems to shut down at that point. Somewhere I had read a suggestion to modify the registry file and reduce the shut down timer count, but I am too afraid to mess with that. Is there a more proper solution, sanctioned by Microsoft?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The mere fact that the monitor goes blank does not mean that all running processes, programs and services have ended.
I would suggest clean booting the system to see if it provides any relief from the problem
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for 8 / 8.1 same for 10

Reaction score
The mere fact that the monitor goes blank does not mean that all running processes, programs and services have ended.
I would suggest clean booting the system to see if it provides any relief from the problem
Thank you very much for your response. I did a clean boot, as you suggested, with all the services disabled and no startup items enabled either as recommended in the 929135 case report. It still took the same amount of time for the computer to finally switch off. And oh btw, I actually measured the time it took was ~ 1min 35 sec in all cases. I also want to add that my computer is a Dell XPS8700, about 2yrs old, i7 processor and originally came with Windows 8/8.1. I only recently upgraded to Windows 10 and this is when the shut down issue started showing up. There are no other issues related to boot up or anything else after this upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Take a look at the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
On the right side where it says "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" can you tell me if the value is 0 (zero) or 1 (one)?

Reaction score
Depends on what program are actually working, or still running and NOT all programs SHUTDOWN automatically,
what i do
desktop --> make a new shortcut --> name is shutdown --> then change TARGET --> to read as follows
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1 save and exit, by doing this you are using the exact same proper that MS does only you are saying
/s = shutdown
/t = time allows
1 now and close all programs.
you also can see all cammand by comand prompt shutdown /?

Reaction score
Thank you, Snuffy. I made the shortcut, named it shutdown.bat on my desktop. Not sure this is how I am supposed to do. Going back on my old knowledge of computers, but I am somewhat treading in the unknown territory - I will tell you up front. However, your suggestion worked perfectly, and the computer shutdown right away (~5 secs). Your other suggestion (shutdown /?) did not work. A quick Dos window zoomed by and then came back to my desktop. Also, I am not sure what I could expect with that command?

Reaction score
So a brute force Shutdown through MS Dos shutdown command works but a regular system shutdown takes a long time. Any other clue from this forum please?

Reaction score
There is a space between shutdown and the oblique (/) Should work.
But, I think you are using the "run" box and not a command prompt?

The normal shutdown process, since Windows 8, is called a soft shutdown. The time can be dependant on functions which you are running. For example, some anti virus programs cache, when they detect a shutdown request, as they could be in the middle of a scan. Another is the system restore. If enabled, it can frequently save your current os, on getting the shutdown. If you have the Defrag running automatically, as another example, it can take just another short while to close, before allowing the computer to shutdown.
I have the recover item turned off. My computer (s) turn off pretty much instantly.

The shortcut you have inserted will, without doubt, with the time interval, make the shutdown quicker. Only warning is that it may destroy the ability of some of the running processes to save ongoing work.

Reaction score

The normal shutdown process, since Windows 8, is called a soft shutdown. The time can be dependant on functions which you are running. For example, some anti virus programs cache, when they detect a shutdown request, as they could be in the middle of a scan. Another is the system restore. If enabled, it can frequently save your current os, on getting the shutdown. If you have the Defrag running automatically, as another example, it can take just another short while to close, before allowing the computer to shutdown.
I have the recover item turned off. My computer (s) turn off pretty much instantly.

The shortcut you have inserted will, without doubt, with the time interval, make the shutdown quicker. Only warning is that it may destroy the ability of some of the running processes to save ongoing work.
Thank you Da

Thank you Davehc. I agree with you that if I tried to attempt a quick shutdown, it might affect an orderly shutdown of processes. So I am not going to worry about the long shut down time. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Reaction score
Thank you, Snuffy. I made the shortcut, named it shutdown.bat on my desktop. Not sure this is how I am supposed to do. Going back on my old knowledge of computers, but I am somewhat treading in the unknown territory - I will tell you up front. However, your suggestion worked perfectly, and the computer shutdown right away (~5 secs). Your other suggestion (shutdown /?) did not work. A quick Dos window zoomed by and then came back to my desktop. Also, I am not sure what I could expect with that command?
ok - logo +x --> command prompt as admin --> shutdown /? and it will give you all the possible for shutdown
------------------

C:\Windows\system32>shutdown /?
Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e | /o] [/hybrid] [/f]
[/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]

No args Display help. This is the same as typing /?.
/? Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
/i Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
This must be the first option.
/l Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d options.
/s Shutdown the computer.
/r Full shutdown and restart the computer.
/g Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is
rebooted, restart any registered applications.
/a Abort a system shutdown.
This can only be used during the time-out period.
/p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
Can be used with /d and /f options.
/h Hibernate the local computer.
Can be used with the /f option.
/hybrid Performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
Must be used with /s option.
/e Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer.
/o Go to the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer.
Must be used with /r option.
/m \\computer Specify the target computer.
/t xxx Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
implied.
/c "comment" Comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
Maximum of 512 characters allowed.
/f Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
specified for the /t parameter.
/d [p|u:]xx:yy Provide the reason for the restart or shutdown.
p indicates that the restart or shutdown is planned.
u indicates that the reason is user defined.
If neither p nor u is specified the restart or shutdown is
unplanned.
xx is the major reason number (positive integer less than 256).
yy is the minor reason number (positive integer less than 65536).

Reasons on this computer:
(E = Expected U = Unexpected P = planned, C = customer defined)
Type Major Minor Title

U 0 0 Other (Unplanned)
E 0 0 Other (Unplanned)
E P 0 0 Other (Planned)
U 0 5 Other Failure: System Unresponsive
E 1 1 Hardware: Maintenance (Unplanned)
E P 1 1 Hardware: Maintenance (Planned)
E 1 2 Hardware: Installation (Unplanned)
E P 1 2 Hardware: Installation (Planned)
E 2 2 Operating System: Recovery (Unplanned)
E P 2 2 Operating System: Recovery (Planned)
P 2 3 Operating System: Upgrade (Planned)
E 2 4 Operating System: Reconfiguration (Unplanned)
E P 2 4 Operating System: Reconfiguration (Planned)
P 2 16 Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
2 17 Operating System: Hot fix (Unplanned)
P 2 17 Operating System: Hot fix (Planned)
2 18 Operating System: Security fix (Unplanned)
P 2 18 Operating System: Security fix (Planned)
E 4 1 Application: Maintenance (Unplanned)
E P 4 1 Application: Maintenance (Planned)
E P 4 2 Application: Installation (Planned)
E 4 5 Application: Unresponsive
E 4 6 Application: Unstable
U 5 15 System Failure: Stop error
U 5 19 Security issue (Unplanned)
E 5 19 Security issue (Unplanned)
E P 5 19 Security issue (Planned)
E 5 20 Loss of network connectivity (Unplanned)
U 6 11 Power Failure: Cord Unplugged
U 6 12 Power Failure: Environment
P 7 0 Legacy API shutdown

C:\Windows\system32>
--------------------------------------------------
and when you make the shortcut it is
upload_2016-2-2_8-56-55.png

then from desktop simple double click it and it shutsdown your windows. this has been around since
windows. began...

Reaction score
Thank you! That's a lot of information, but I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time. For the moment, I am just going to use the standard Shutdown method in order not to corrupt any files or data being saved at the time of shutdown. I will let Windows do its own orderly shutdown. It does not normally affect me except when you suddenly remember to check something on the computer and the computer is still shutting down. Then it is a minor inconvenience, but it is not too often.

Reaction score
If you think it might some software, you could try shutting down certain things before you do the real shutdown. Older software would be more suspect so check the Task Manager to see if any programs are loaded you recognize and end their task, then shutdown. Some may come back after they shut down.

There may be drivers for a device which is misbehaving.

You could check Event Viewer to see if anything shows up around the time you shutdown. It may show as a warning or even info.

Open an Administrative Command prompt and run the following command. Take note of where the resulting file is stored and copy or move it to the desktop to open. Check it for anything mentioning a problem utility or driver. The comments about USB devices are normal but something could still show up in that area. It is best if you shutdown all running applications prior to running the command.

powercfg /energy

And lastly, many folks are reporting problems with networking. Possibly something is accessing your system or your system is accessing something. You might try opening the connections and disabling your network adapters prior to shutting down. It could even be something like a memory card in a printer or phone/Bluetooth. Typing ncpa.cpl in a Run box opens the panel directly or you can go through the Network and Sharing Center.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you! That's a lot of information, but I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time. For the moment, I am just going to use the standard Shutdown method in order not to corrupt any files or data being saved at the time of shutdown. I will let Windows do its own orderly shutdown. It does not normally affect me except when you suddenly remember to check something on the computer and the computer is still shutting down. Then it is a minor inconvenience, but it is not too often.
The command will not mess anything up, never has and it is recommended by MS if for any reason you have a long delay. /s /t 1 is the same as /s /t /f that is why the cmd is listed as to MS recommend for fast shutdown.
to ea to use as they see fit, I add this small target to all my clients, and I ask add the same on cmd are
/r /t 1 - which is /r=restart /t /1 - faster and if you have your HDD policies set to default as recommended by MS
you will NEVER have issues... :)

Reaction score
Snuffy, thank you so much for your time. You guys (and gals) great. Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I will keep the points you mentioned in mind. Thank you again!

Ask a Question