SOLVED Computer Tower Shuts Down By Itself

Reaction score
Ever since I downloaded the free version of windows 10 I have had nothing but trouble with my computer. Right now I am on another computer to try and get help for the crashed one. I was on my computer this morning and did a few things then left and when I returned to work on it, the monitor screen was black. Then I noticed my key board was not lite. So I checked my tower and it wasn't on either. Every thing completely shut down by itself. I tried powering it up but it won't turn on. Is there any way to get this to power on? I really hope I haven't lost everything. I am so furious with this windows 10. Maybe I have to buy a new computer now. Even if I can't get into it myself, can an expert get into it to at least get all my information that I need? Thanks

Reaction score
could this be something as simple as a duff power supply, have you checked fuses etc. Is there power to the tower. I had one recently which was working fine then the next time I went to use it nothing in the end it turned out to be the power supply in the tower You should not lose everything you should be able to put your hard disc into another computer or external hard drive case and get what you need off it.

Reaction score
could this be something as simple as a duff power supply, have you checked fuses etc. Is there power to the tower. I had one recently which was working fine then the next time I went to use it nothing in the end it turned out to be the power supply in the tower You should not lose everything you should be able to put your hard disc into another computer or external hard drive case and get what you need off it.

What is a duff power supply, and where are the fuses. Yes there is power to the tower. We even unplugged it and plugged it back in. That helped before when this happened but this time nothing. I was going to get all my fills off and clean the computer completely and then reinstall windows 10 but this shut down on me again.

Reaction score
Sorry, Duff means broken/ not working just because you are putting a live lead into the back of the tower doesn't men that the power unit inside is working. When you switch on and before you try to boot up do the lights on the front of the tower come on. The power supply unit inside the tower is similar to a transformer and it steps down the alternating power from the mains supply to the small amounts the computer needs. I had one that would light up the front of the tower but as soon as I pressed to button to start the computer running it would turn off. The only way to check is to substitute another power unit and see if that works. I would have though that if Windows 10 had fouled up you should at least get to the stage where it is trying to load before it goes bad.
If nothing works you can always take the hard disc to a computer shop and they can take the files you want off it and put them on a memory stick for you. Or if you know someone with a external hard disc drive they can do the same.
I don't know how much experience you have but you could try a live linux disc and see if that boots up, if it does you know the computers ok and you could use it to get your files onto a memory stick and then try a complete reinstall of win 10.
Have you tried starting up in safe mode most computers will start in safe mode if you hit the F8 or F11 key as you power up.
as you may realise this is a difficult thing to sort out at a distance do you have a friendly computer shop nearby that would help.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Reaction score
Sorry, Duff means broken/ not working just because you are putting a live lead into the back of the tower doesn't men that the power unit inside is working. When you switch on and before you try to boot up do the lights on the front of the tower come on. The power supply unit inside the tower is similar to a transformer and it steps down the alternating power from the mains supply to the small amounts the computer needs. I had one that would light up the front of the tower but as soon as I pressed to button to start the computer running it would turn off. The only way to check is to substitute another power unit and see if that works. I would have though that if Windows 10 had fouled up you should at least get to the stage where it is trying to load before it goes bad.
If nothing works you can always take the hard disc to a computer shop and they can take the files you want off it and put them on a memory stick for you. Or if you know someone with a external hard disc drive they can do the same.
I don't know how much experience you have but you could try a live linux disc and see if that boots up, if it does you know the computers ok and you could use it to get your files onto a memory stick and then try a complete reinstall of win 10.
Have you tried starting up in safe mode most computers will start in safe mode if you hit the F8 or F11 key as you power up.
as you may realise this is a difficult thing to sort out at a distance do you have a friendly computer shop nearby that would help.

Don't know what a linux disc is. I don't have any power to the tower or my key board so I didn't think I could go into safe mode. Let me know about this. Is there any way to reboot this another way? Also if I do take the hard disc to someplace will that be expensive or take long to do? I just want my files off this. Then if the computer is trashed I can deal with that. But still can't figure out why this happened other than downloading this windows 10.

Reaction score
Don't know what a linux disc is. I don't have any power to the tower or my key board so I didn't think I could go into safe mode. Let me know about this. Is there any way to reboot this another way? Also if I do take the hard disc to someplace will that be expensive or take long to do? I just want my files off this. Then if the computer is trashed I can deal with that. But still can't figure out why this happened other than downloading this windows 10.

A linux disc is a disc of one of the various linux operating systems and is can be run as a live disc, that is you can put it in the cd/dvd reader and it will load an entire operating system without putting it onto your hard drive and then you can use it to look into your hard drive and grab the files you need and put them on a memory stick. If you don't know about this sort of thing I would suggest you go the computer shop option. However if as you say you don't have any power to the tower (the Keyboard probably takes its power from the tower) then nothing will work until you can find out why no power is getting to to the tower. You probably need to get in there with a multi meter. I can't comment on how much or how long it would take to get the files off your hard drive as I don't know what your local computer shops are like. but it should be a quick and easy job.

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a faulty power supply or a bad motherboard. Both can cause the same problems the OP is experiencing.

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a faulty power supply or a bad motherboard. Both can cause the same problems the OP is experiencing.

OK everyone, as of right now my computer is up and running again. Not saying it may stay this way because this has happened more than once. But when it happened the first time my husband was pulling a plug out of the wall to reboot it and it wasn't the plug to the computer, but also he was pushing the power surge strip button off and on too. So I'm thinking the power strip button had something to do with it coming back on all those times. So this time he took the plug out of the power surge strip completely and plugged it into the wall and everything started working. But the power surge plug does still work but maybe not enough power for the computer. Don't know. But I am happy to be up and running.

Reaction score
That's great. Thankfully it turned out to be something simple. I have a vague memory of something about surge strips only lasting for so many cycles of on and off or a set runnng time. something to do with the electronics in them especially if you have had power surges, and naturally you won't usually know you've had a surge as the surge protector has protected you. Glad to see that all is ok now though.
best wishes.

Reaction score
So I think all is well but I better purchase another power surge strip. Thanks everyone for all your advise.

Reaction score
So this time he took the plug out of the power surge strip completely and plugged it into the wall and everything started working. But the power surge plug does still work but maybe not enough power for the computer.
First, a near zero protector can disconnect it protectors parts (to avert a fire) and still leaves both surge and AC power directly connected to your computer. If that tiny voltage loss causes computer shutdown, well, what determines that shutdown? A power controller.

Power controller decides when power turns on or off. It takes input requests from the front panel button and from the OS to decide what to do. But if it decided to power off on its own, then other hardware defects may be detected by that controller. So it powers off everything.

Second, a defect can be identified without all that above wild speculation using a meter and some requested instructions. That to eliminate a defect. Apparently intent is to only take data off that machine. If it keeps working temporarily, then the task is done. Disk drive also may be removed and connected to another computer to read that data.

Third, a protector strip is doing nothing useful. It does not claim to protect from surges that cause damage. Using any electronics without that strip does not increase risk of damage AND may even make damage less likely. Apparently its little voltage drop is aggravating a defect inside that computer. A defect detected by its power controller. A defect only identified by a simple tool (also used by a junior high school science student).

Strongly recommended is to not purchase another protector type strip. One without protector parts should be purchased. Then spend many times less money on something completely different that actually does claim to protect from destructive transients.

Ask a Question