Computer Wont shut down

Reaction score
Hello,
New to this so bear with me. I ordered a new motherboard and cpu the other day and after installing I found I was given wrong cpu (I ordered a Z97-Pro Gamer + i7 4790k, but I got a Z97 + Dual core 2.8ghz ) and the seller asked me to return item for replacement , so I had to reinstall my old motherboard ( my old mobo is a H81m-H ). Since then my computer will not shut down. It goes through the windows process " Shuting Down " and my screen goes blank but the lights stay on and the fans continue to spin. I now have to hold my power button for 5 secs to switch it off. I have adjusted my power settings for Samsung max performance and checked that the power button has correct setting in power management. Also tried to enter shutdown via CMD prompt(shutdown /s /t 00) with same result. I have also disabled the 'Fast Boot' option with no difference .When the computer remains lights on and fans spinning I can not use the power button to switch back on, it just remains as is unless I hold down for 5 seconds and force shut down. Please Help as I'm getting quite concerned that this is going to adversely effect my ssd/graphics card ( will it ? ). My (current) Specs :
i7 4790 3.4 ghz
H81m-H motherboard
Samsung 850 Evo 500 Gb
850w Pro Psu
Msi 980 ti
There are no yellow triangles on my device manager, seems to think everything is OK.
Apologies if its something simple that I'm missing and being stupid, but right now that's the answer I'm hoping for :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Power down and unplug power cord from power source. Then remove CMOS battery for 5 minutes, then reinsert battery, reattach cord and power up and check for issue.

Reaction score
Powered down, removed battery for 10 mins ,put back in and started up comp. When shutting down the screen goes black but fans and lights continue to stay on. No change :(

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The only other reason I can think of is an ESD (Electro Static Discharge) happened and fried some or all of the components.

When changing out parts, do you use a Anti Static wrist band?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
so I had to reinstall my old motherboard ( my old mobo is a H81m-H ).
My sense is that you have an issue with your installed based on the difference in MoBo Chipsets.
So you might start there and determine if you have the most recent MoBo drivers installed on your Operating System to support the current motherboard and integrated devices, including any firmware update (BIOS) that the Motherboard may need also.
If Windows thinks that it is shut down, and your hardware is behaving otherwise then you need to examine any particular setting within the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and determine if there is anything relevant regarding power saving settings (C-states) that may be impacting the issue.

Reaction score
checked and updated all the drivers I could find, and couldn't find anything bad in bios power settings. On a side note, I did generate a system health report and found something new that wasn't present before install issue : 'a service is reported as having an unexpected error code'='service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077'.
Failed a System service check ' Abnormally Terminated Services Check Failed 3 times'.
Fresh install of windows fix this maybe?

Reaction score
OK, think ive found solution. Seems to be some problem with Samsung having headaches with the swap. I took out the SSD and put in my old hdd which wasn't present when I did swap, I then formatted the SSD and cloned OS from my HDD>SSD. Then set my SSD as boot device. So far, all seems ok. Will update if anything changes. Ill leave a few days before I mark as solved to make sure. Thanks for all assists though.

Ask a Question