Constant Lag

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by betterinblue, Dec 23, 2016.

1. betterinblue

betterinblue

Hi

My pc has turned into a steaming piece of shit in the past couple of months and I am no longer able to tolerate it, it struggles with multi tasking especially if Microsoft word is involved and now it lags when playing all manner of media - Video's; Games; Music you name it, not to mention groove music is barely functional.

This PC is a rebuild the only original parts are the CD-Rom Drive and PSU which survived the lightning strike that retired my other parts - there was also 2tb drive with everything I was digitally during college on it - but it died after three months and constant bugs and I haven't earmarked the USD $ 20 000 it will cost to recover that information - a story for a another thread.

TLDR

I need a utility that can help me identify what parts the computer shop appointed by my then insurance team put inside my box which is supposed to be as powerful as my own built rig only with new parts - new is not better.

My old rig was a q6600 Quad core
    16 gb Ram
    Radeon 5750
    I forget my mobo

This one says "military class" when it starts up

I have some kind of an I3
    16gb Ram
    And some Kind of R9 GPU, I think.

Any how I can't take it any more, if you also have some suggestions on how I can make it run smoother you are more than welcome - it will never be the PC I lost in that lightning storm, even if it still the same box... I get that I have accepted that - but isn't SUPPOSED to be better?

betterinblue, Dec 23, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. betterinblue

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Do you happen to know the speed in Ghz of the i3 processor? Generally you can find this in Device Manager under Processors.
    I would think that overall an i3 processor would out perform your older processor but without knowing the particulars of the i3 it might be hard to compare Apples to Apples
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3220
    Likewise a Radeon R9 comes in various iterations (290, 360, 380, etc.) each with their own performance specs and capabilities.
    Some performance issues can be a result of background processes so........

You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
    Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
    Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.

Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
    Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Trouble, Dec 25, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. betterinblue

betterinblue

HI

Thanks I getting started on this

my processor is an
    Intel Core i3 4160 3.6ghz

I will report back once I have exhausted this process

betterinblue, Dec 25, 2016
  4. betterinblue

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Dec 25, 2016
  5. betterinblue

betterinblue

I Have just taken a thorough look at that - also she seems a lot more agreeable right now thank you - if there is ever anything else I need I'll be sure to pop by.

B.T.W. I got curious and did test on my pc to see how it ranks on the world scale using http://www.userbenchmark.com and it ranked as a "yatch" - then I took a peak at what an upgrade would look like USD $ 3 194, 07 ! when it can make me a sandwich and convince me not to press the snooze button I'll get that upgrade.

betterinblue, Dec 25, 2016
    1. Advertisements