Control Pane - Windows Update

Reaction score
I came across a method to " add " Windows Update back to Control Panel.
The method is posted in a well known forum by a very very reputable Admin.
My lingering doubt is whether there will be some ill side effects tweaking the registry.

In MS Community forum, a forum mod who also is a MS employee, warns us about changing Windows Update from automatic to manual install.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-ui-may/dc846517-eca0-4960-b0ff-1eb7227223f5

I wonder if the same will apply to adding Windows Update back to Control Panel.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I would be cautious of any registry edits.
I don't particularly mind the new location for Windows Updates being under "Settings", although I'm one of those who have never seen a reason for mucking about with the Control Panel, as is or really as was now.
All the feedback about blending the two locations (Control Panel and PC Settings / "Settings", I had hoped would be ignored and didn't see anything good coming from it.
Windows is famous for having multiple ways and multiple places to accomplish the same or similar tasks. I see no reason why both could not co-exist and be a matter of personal preference as to how one wanted to go about performing a specific task.

Reaction score
This is what I've found out after adding WU back to Control Panel.
If I go to Settings > Update and Recovery > there is no Advanced options anymore, but Preview builds is back on.
Update & Recovery after registry edit..jpg

Undo the registry editing and I get the Advanced options back.
Update & Recovery before registry edit..jpg

Ask a Question