Control panel and windows update hanging

Reaction score
Don't know where to start really, this is the third time I have had to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 as I keep having problems. The latest started with my printer queue not clearing deleted files and now when I go to control panel it is hanging , will not close down unless I restart the pc( it was fine before the printer problem) now it is continually searching for any latest updates but getting nowhere. I also noticed that when trying to print off photos that it does not always send the files to the print queue. I did reload Gimp the latest version on a couple of days ago, and wonder if this has done something to the registry. Hoping someone can help as I am ready to throw it all out of the window.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having.
It might be time to bite the bullet and perform a custom clean install of Windows 10 and see if that might help with some of your issues.
I know it's not the ideal or even a preferred solution but having recently battle with similar issues on a machine that began life as Windows 8, was subsequently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10 and during that time I can't even begin to guess how many programs had been installed, uninstalled, re-installed, etc.,. I imagined that my registry looked like a giant ball of worms or a heart in need of a six way bypass.
So.....
I made a disk image of my current install
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
AND then did a custom clean install, put my data back where it belonged, and started installing my programs again one by one (amazing how many you can actually live without).
Best thing I ever did.

Ask a Question