SOLVED Copied files from ext hdd F:\ to C:\ desktop AND documents then disconnected F:\ and files on C:\ desktop disappear

Reaction score
Going nuts with this, even tried copying to D:\ then from D:\ to C:\, but they disappear too. I can see the files in Docs, but they will not copy to desktop. Keep getting message that F:\ is not available, check that this drive is connected. PC seems to think those files BELONG to F:\ only. HELP

Reaction score
What type connection from the External drive to the computer, USB 2 or USB 3 or eSATA? Are you getting the actual files or only shortcuts to the files?

Reaction score
usb2 (dont have usb3 on this machine). I can transfer the files, all txts, (after the warning message) to docs folder on C:\ and even read them, but if I try to put them on C:\ desktop, they fail to transfer. My desktop is my bulletin board...:cool:

Think it was because I had used the ext hdd for my docs and music with shortcuts to C:\ drive, and pc "learned" ? that it was main drive, as everything I had on desktop on C:\ was duplicated by ext hdd (not me) to a desktop folder there that it created.

Reaction score
FOUND the answer online @www.diskinternals.com

go to the command line: right-click on Start and select “Command Prompt (administrator)”. At the command prompt, type “regedit”. Press the Enter key. Next, go to “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders”. Next, enter one of the following values
C:\Users\% C:\user name%\Desktop
click on it and enter your user name
do the same for all other folders such as Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos and so forth

close regedit and restart computer

Mine had \Users\% F:\user name%\Desktop for the old ext hdd.

Last edited:

Ask a Question