Copy and Paste error

Reaction score
Can anyone verify that this is common, or is it my configuration. I occasionally7 type an answer in wordpad or notepad, for clarity, and then copy and paste into the forum. Now, This is an original. Take no notice of the context, it is just an example I have transcribed from another post.:

Not important to your issue, but you do not need to right click the option. It is on the top menu, as you can see in my clip.
I took advantage of a brand new installation I had available, and inserted my private Email account. This was the result. The left hand box , in my case at least, merely gives you an outline of anything sitting in the various parts - deleted, inbox..etc.. Perhaps you could detail anything extra, you are seeing there?

If you do not want to see the left-hand pane, then you can drag it out of sight.

And this is how it pastes:

If you do not want to see the left-hand pane, then you can drag it out of sight. I took advantage of a brand new installation I had available, and inserted my private Email account. This was the result. The left hand box , in my case at least, merely gives you an outline of anything sitting in the various parts - deleted, inbox..etc.. Perhaps you could detail anything extra, you are seeing there? Not important to your issue, but you do not need to right click the option. It is on the top menu, as you can see in my clip.

I have examined pretty much every configuration, but cannot find the reason for this. fwiw. It is only on this forum.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've tried copying/pasting the same snippet from notepad to the forum editor and it seems to work OK for me in Chrome - which browser are you using and I'll try to replicate it?

As a temporary workaround, you could change the text box editor mode using the button in the top-right corner of the text area (looks like a spanner on a sheet of paper). That will change the text entry box from WYSIWYG > basic text - then you can click the link under the editor to switch it back when needed.

Once I can get it replicated I'll send in a bug report for a fix :).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I've tested this using Notepad, with Word wrap both on then off, and Wordpad, with No wrap, Wrap to Rule, and Wrap to Window selected.

In all scenarios the exact same issue occurred for me as you are experiencing here on the forum.

I have found a work-around though:

If you are using Wordpad, Click File | Save As and use Rich Text Format (RTF). As this forum is by default using RTF styles your layout of notes will remain the same if copied from a wordpad.RTF file then pasted here.

Notepad does not offer this option, but to get around that here:
  • Copy from Notepad
  • Before pasting here click the BB Code Editor icon far right of Forum toolbar
  • Now paste
  • Then at bottom of BB Code Editor page click Use Rich Text Editor

Your formatting will then remain as you had in your Notepad.

This also works for Wordpad files not saved as Rich text formats
Note for Ian: I was using Microsoft Edge when testing this issue, and as all ready stated had the same issue as Dave described, but discovered if you save notes as an RTF then the formatting remains unaltered when pasted into the Forums RTF message area, or as you also noted, by pasting to the BB Code Editor, then selecting RTF mode.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tried copying/pasting the same snippet from
notepad to the forum editor and it seems to work
OK for me in Chrome - which browser are you using
and I'll try to replicate it?

As a temporary workaround, you could change the
text box editor mode using the button in the
top-right corner of the text area (looks like a
spanner on a sheet of paper). That will change
the text entry box from WYSIWYG > basic text -
then you can click the link under the editor to
switch it back when needed.

Once I can get it replicated I'll send in a bug
report for a fix.

I just copied Ian's comment pasted in Notpad. After placing a few line-breaks, I copied it again and pasted it here. Both times the text looked as it was when copying. For record I'm using Firefox 46.

Regedit32

Reaction score
which browser are you using and I'll try to replicate it?

Hi Ian,

I've all ready added a Note to you in my original response to Dave, but since then I've done some more testing:
  • Microsoft Edge Browser - format issue occurs unless I apply the two work arounds mentioned in my response to Dave
  • Chrome Browser - no format issue when pasting from Notepad or Wordpad (any file format)
  • Internet Explorer 11 - no format issue when pasting from Notepad or Wordpad (any file format)

Regards,

Regedit

Reaction score
Many thanks, regedit. That answers the question. I do use Wordpad/rtf. I'll just give it another go:

If you do not want to see the left-hand pane, then you can drag it out of sight. I took advantage of a brand new installation I had available, and inserted my private Email account. This was the result. The left hand box , in my case at least, merely gives you an outline of anything sitting in the various parts - deleted, inbox..etc.. Perhaps you could detail anything extra, you are seeing there?Not important to your issue, but you do not need to right click the option. It is on the top menu, as you can see in my clip.

If you do not want to see the left-hand pane, then you can drag it out of sight. I took advantage of a brand new installation I had available, and inserted my private Email account. This was the result. The left hand box , in my case at least, merely gives you an outline of anything sitting in the various parts - deleted, inbox..etc.. Perhaps you could detail anything extra, you are seeing there?Not important to your issue, but you do not need to right click the option. It is on the top menu, as you can see in my clip.

No joy, I'm afraid.

Not too interested in the notepad workaround. Guess I'll just have to remember to use another browser when copying/pasting.

Not important to your issue, but you do not need to right click the option. It is on the top menu, as you can see in my clip.

I took advantage of a brand new installation I had available, and inserted my private Email account. This was the result. The left hand box , in my case at least, merely gives you an outline of anything sitting in the various parts - deleted, inbox..etc.. Perhaps you could detail anything extra, you are seeing there?

If you do not want to see the left-hand pane, then you can drag it out of sight.

This is with the workaround you suggested, Ian, does the trick. I'll stay with that for a while.

Once again. Glad I am on this site. What a backup in help - I only posted a short while ago!

P.S. I will be posting this as Envy feedback.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I note of interest,

On Microsoft Edges feedback page in October 2015 this issue was raised, and then the thread was closed as they claimed this issue was fixed. If it was, I am wondering where the update is that fixes this.

Their site is: https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/fe...t-when-pasting-into-contenteditable-from-word

On another site compiling known issues they made this comment in late February:

Microsoft Edge: The current version of the RTE appears to strip all formatting and line breaks when text is pasted in using Microsoft Edge, regardless of word processor. At this time, if you need to use the Rich Text Editor, our only suggestion is to use a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Their site is: http://archiveofourown.org/known_issues

There is also a Microsoft Developer thread running on this issue, but you need to register and sign in to view content. Located here if interested: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/5202226/

Perhaps we all need to use the Feedback option built into Windows 10 to encourage the developers to repair the RTE service for Edge users :)

Reaction score
God bless Microsoft
"Perhaps we all need to use the Feedback option built into Windows 10 to encourage the developers to repair the RTE service for Edge users"

I do wish everyone would. Nothing seriously wrong with Windows 10 in its entirety. But keep throwing the book at them.- It needs some improvements.

Ask a Question