Copy progress bar missing

Reaction score
Hello,

I have windows 10 home x64 version 1607, OS build 14393.693, and noticed that when copying or moving files the visual progress bar is missing. I know in a previous version this was a bug and wondering if the bug is back or something else may be the cause?

I have scanned the system for corrupt file yet all is clean. Without the visual progress bar we have no idea if the copying or moving has completed or halted during progress.

Any idea?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Morrile,

Welcome to the Forum.

The only time I've seen that particular issue arise is when someone is using customized Themes. Any chance you have a Theme running that is in effect hiding the Progress bar?

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,

I have changed the basic colour for the menu and task bar and a slide show for the background yet it's been working for quite some time like that. It's only recently it's vanished without not even a goodbye :eek: I shall try setting this back to default and reboot to see if that resolved it or not. I know that I can reset Windows 10, although was trying to avoid that as it take quite some time to reinstall everything again. I was hoping it could be resoved by a registry setting change to force visibility; if that's even possible?

Many thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is that your Folders are opening in a separate process.
  • Open File Explorer
  • Select View
  • On right side of ribbon click Options
  • Click on Change folder and search options
  • Select the View tab
  • Scroll down and make sure that Launch folder windows in a separate process is not checked!

Reaction score
That is not checked! so I am stumped as to what could be the cause as everything else works fine.

So, one weekend I shall restore a true image I have, and/or reset windows if that fails. I don't have to worry about losing anything as only the system and all programs files are on C drive. D drive, a wholly separate drive, is for all my personal data, downloads folder, desktop, etc, which are all mirrored to a NAS for extra safety

Regards,

Reaction score
We cannot say we didn't try yet sadly it still doesn't work. So I shall restore a pervious image and take it from there. Thanks to you I can now update Windows once I get the progress bar working again.

Many thanks for your asistance.

Reaction score
It seems I was the cause of the progress bar going missing. Having restored from backup I discovered various applications I no longer used and decided to have a clean up. Removing one at a time all was well until I uninstalled an app called ncap.exe and since then the progress bar does not work. I cannot remember were this came from yet it's a network capturing application and I cannot understand why that would affect a progress bar unless it make critical registry changes?

Ask a Question