SOLVED Copying a 7 GB file to a 32 GB SD card not allowed

Reaction score
Even though I had only 1.3GB used on a 32GB SD card, I could not copy a 7GB file from my C-drive stating there was not enough free space. Why and what to do.

BTW - the sd card was NOT formated in FAT32 and was formated in the NTFS.

Thanks for your help in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tom, welcome to the forums.

Although the card may be 32GB, it may not be partitioned to take up the full amount of space. In File Explorer, can you right click on the drive then click "properties" and see if it is set up to use the full 32GB please?

If it is, I wonder if there could be a problem with the SD card. There have been many cases where retailers have unknowingly sold fake SD cards, where smaller (i.e. 4GB) cards have been misconfigured to appear as if they hold more data. You could try using H2testw if you think this may be the case:

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/h2testw/

It's designed for USB drives, but works fine on SD cards.

Reaction score
Ian,

Thanks Ian for being the first to respond, with the correct cause of the issue and a solution that worked. I did change the partition and now I have no problems at all.

The card was from a friend and we swapped card between us. I knew about the FAT32 issue as well as formatting, but it just didn't click that it was partitioned for only 8GB, it had 1.3GB on it and I wanted to put and additional 7GB on it. It still didn't click when it also said I needed 300MB of additions space. It is rare for me to miss something so in front of my face, but this one sure slipped by me.

Thank you,
Tom

Ask a Question