SOLVED Corrupted Windows 10 disk

Reaction score
I'm not a professional and i don't even know if the title describes my problem so please correct me if i say anything wrong.
Anyways, i have dual booted Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 (this problem has nothing to do with linux if you don't know much about linux) and i have like an allocated partition for Linux. But everytime i start the pc and go in to Linux i mount the windows disk and use it to store my Linux games on it and i know im not supposed to but it have worked fine without any error for a while now. 2 days ago i started my computer went on Linux and i wanted to play a game (don't ask me why i didn't play on Windows, i know it's better) so i mounted my Windows drive and i got this error:

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/jensus/FAE84248E84202FD2: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000" "/dev/sda2" "/media/jensus/FAE84248E84202FD2"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: In/ut-fel
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: In/ut-fel
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice.
The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

It worked just fine the day before and i didn't anything since that, so maybe just something when wrong in the computer itself. Now let me explain the main problem. As you can see it recommends me to run chkdsk on Windows so i restarted my computer to boot into Windows but there was just those spinning balls like when you start up the computer like normally for like 10 mins then its just a black-grayish screen. About 10-20 mins after that dark gray screen the Windows logo pops up, like when you boot normally but it says "Prepairing automatic repair" for a while then it just turns into that black screen forever. But this time i can see my cursor on the black screen but no buttons or any text so theres still nothing else. When i restart the pc it's just the same everytime.

I've also tried booting from a bootable Windows 10 usb thumb stick but then i just get a purple screen with a cursor instead. And as nothing helps and from what the error says i think my disk is corrupted and i don't really know what means.

I would really appreciate any help as im using my computer very much everyday.

- Jens

Reaction score
MS has stated not to go into Linus from with Windows 10. That is about all I know about it. You can do an

Reaction score
That's hard as i can't even go into windows.
Then place your install media in whether it be a DVD or flash and change your BIOS settings to boot off of the DVD/Thumb and then either reisntall or do and upgrade repair as shown in the video. If you have any backups you can always restore from one.

Reaction score
Then place your install media in whether it be a DVD or flash and change your BIOS settings to boot off of the DVD/Thumb and then either reisntall or do and upgrade repair as shown in the video. If you have any backups you can always restore from one.

Sorry, i said this in the first post, "I've also tried booting from a bootable Windows 10 usb thumb stick but then i just get a purple screen with a cursor instead."

Reaction score
HDD System partition is corrupted.
I won't boot from the usb thumb stick is it's not the 1st entry in the boot order.
Change the boot order or select the "F" key that allows you to choose the boot device.

BTW, you posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Get one of the Mods to move it.

Reaction score
I won't boot from the usb thumb stick is it's not the 1st entry in the boot order.
Change the boot order or select the "F" key that allows you to choose the boot device.

Thank you for the reply. That does help me alot and if you know something more or how to fix it, then please tell me. Im going to google for how to fix a corrupted system partition tomorrow. You said you wouldn't boot from a usb thumb stick, what would you use instead?

I have called MS support but i only got to talk to a guy that didn't know anything. He just said "oh shit" all the time.

Reaction score

You call a mod to move it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. That does help me alot and if you know something more or how to fix it, then please tell me. Im going to google for how to fix a corrupted system partition tomorrow. You said you wouldn't boot from a usb thumb stick, what would you use instead?

I have called MS support but i only got to talk to a guy that didn't know anything. He just said "oh shit" all the time.
Sorry. Typos.
Should read:
It won't boot from the usb thumb stick if it's not the 1st entry in the boot order.
or at least before the HDD.

Don't know your system specs, so don't know what "F" key it is.

repair windows 10 system partition
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/system-reserved-partition-recovery.html

This will restore the Windows boot manager & you won't be able to dual-boot Ubuntu. Dual-booting with anything other than another version Windows is a PIA.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry. Typos.
Should read:
It won't boot from the usb thumb stick if it's not the 1st entry in the boot order.

It is! When i start up my computer i press DELETE to get into UEFI BIOS Utility and then i chose the thumb drive as first priority disk but as i said, i just get a purple screen, my cursor and nothing else. The recovery thing you sent me costs like $300 dollars. Im trying ms own tool, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17422/windows-8-create-usb-recovery-drive i hope it works. :)

EDIT: i tried Hirens Boot CD but somehow my motherboard don't want to turn off secure boot so it didn't work.

Reaction score
Hi,

Somehow my disk got corrupted after dualbooting Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I ended up cleaning and deleting the windows partition then i went ahead and installed windows from a bootable usb and at that point the setup/windows could still recognize my hard drive. But i couldn't install it because i still had GRUB2 installed. So i ran some bootrec commands to get MBR back. Now my disk doesn't appear in the setup, not even in diskpart. But it does appear in bios.

What can i do to fix this?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Could you tell us about your Win 10 install, such as Legacy or UEFI?

Did you make any changes to the Bios during the install of Ubuntu? If you can't get Ubuntu to run did you try a repair of it?

What Bootrec commands did you run and how did you run them?

If you can no longer see the drive in Ubuntu or the Windows install drive, I assume you cannot run any commands on it. You may need a third party disk management software to see it or move it to another machine, if you have that capability.

Reaction score
Could you tell us about your Win 10 install, such as Legacy or UEFI?

Did you make any changes to the Bios during the install of Ubuntu? If you can't get Ubuntu to run did you try a repair of it?

What Bootrec commands did you run and how did you run them?

If you can no longer see the drive in Ubuntu or the Windows install drive, I assume you cannot run any commands on it. You may need a third party disk management software to see it or move it to another machine, if you have that capability.

I have a bootable UEFI Windows 10 USB and my original UEFI Windows 8.1 DVD and i've tried both.

I didn't change the bios during the ubuntu install, i only changes the boot priority. I can get into Ubuntu but only from a bootable USB as everything on my ssd is deleted.

Here are the commands i ran:
/FixMbr
/FixBoot
/ScanOs
/RebuildBcd
Everything but /RebuildBcd worked fine so i just skipped that step. Maybe that's what messed it all up?

I have a laptop that i can maybe plug the SSD into.

Reaction score
I am a little confused. You have one drive which had both Windows and Ubuntu installed and you removed all those partitions? If no, exactly what partitions did you remove or format?

I Windows 10 install will have problems if some of the critical partitions (EFI System, MSR, OS, Recovery) are left on the drive prior to the install. The entire space where Windows will be installed needs to have the smaller partitions removed during the install.

If you are using Ubuntu live, does its drive utility or G-Parted see the drive? If so, does it show any partitions?

Reaction score
I have dualbooted (two operating systems running alongside each other on the same disk but different partitions) and i did nothing special with the hard drive. One day my hard drive was corrupted when i woke up. When that got corrupted something also happend to my Ubuntu on a different partition. If i boot into Ubuntu from when my disk got corrupted it takes about 30 mins and then the screen just goes black until i restart the computer. I tried googling but i couldn't find a fix for it so i just ended up deleting the Windows partition to reinstall it. Then it seemed like i also deleted the Ubuntu partition. Im going to go into Ubuntu from a live usb and see if i have any other partitions.

I will update soon.

Reaction score
Windows 10 install will have problems if some of the critical partitions (EFI System, MSR, OS, Recovery) are left on the drive prior to the install.
Those are left. I have not deleted them and thats probably my problem. If i use some sort of disk management on a USB thumb drive i can maybe delete those.

Ask a Question