Cortana and Search do not work after upgrade

Reaction score
esterday I had my Tablet PC (Windows 8.1) returned after the upgrade by a technician. I have encountered some issues, some fairly minor, others more significant ---- especially Cortana and Search not working:

1. Cortana does not work. She is said to be unavailable because of the language and region that has been selected. The language is English USA (needed for the keyboard) and the region is UK / GB, surely neither of which should be causing any problems?

2. Search does not work. It generates the error 'class not registered'. I have encountered this error before, so from searching in the past I have seen that this can be caused by a number of different factors, hence it is hard to identify what to do.

I will work on the other issues after these two have been resolved.

I have visited the How To site and found that my situation is commonplace, complicated and worldwide. There are many in a similar situation in the UK. On the one hand it is comforting to know that I am not alone and others have resolved the problems --- eventually. However, on the other hand I note that many of the postings date from July, and feel it should not still be continuing to happen now.

If I have understood it, the problems revolve around getting the settings for region / display language / speech language configured in a mutually compatible way.

Help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
1. Cortana does not work. She is said to be unavailable because of the language and region that has been selected. The language is English USA (needed for the keyboard) and the region is UK / GB, surely neither of which should be causing any problems?

I will answer to that topic only.
You were doing a "mix and match". I think that is why Cortana does not work.
Choose one of the following 2 and see if either one will work :

1. Language ................... English (United Kingdom)
Country/region..........United Kingdom
Speech ......................... English (United Kingdom)

2. Language .................... English (United States)
Country/region.......... United States
Speech ......................... English United States

P.S. I am in Canada, and I am unable to change Speech from English (United States) to English (Canada). Hope you have better luck on that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adding..........................
Perhaps you should return it back to the technician and have him/her sorting things out.

Reaction score
If I set everything to USA I get American search results, prices / currency news etc. Not much use to me. But if I set it all to UK my keyboard does not work properly, characters like @ are in the wrong place. I have not so far succeeded by switching everything to UK except for the keyboard (input method) set as US.

Reaction score
I have got it working now. I have everything set to UK except the 'input method', ie. keyboard, which is set to English (US). Cortana works (not very well --- yet?) and delivers UK relevant results, news etc. One fault with Cortana is that she does not act on many command, eg. Take a note, and almost always goes to a web search rather than finding things asked for in My stuff..

Ask a Question