SOLVED "Cortana is disabled by company policy" and

Reaction score
"some settings are managed by your organisation"

This is on a basic W10 machine, running 10586.420 Regular Home edition.

How do I get rid of these
The first won't let Cortana run no matter if I sign on with a local account or a MS account

The second seems to affect some privacy stuff but not all.

I don't have an organisation. I tend not to used Edge( use Chrome) and I have Google as my default search engine.

This machine has never been on a Pro version of Windows and isn't in a homegroup although it has been in one with Insiders version of Windows which used to be Pro with the Policy editor.

Reaction score
Tim I had exactly the same issue earlier this week "some settings are managed by your organisation" I have a local account? I believe it was caused by the fact that I had Bing blocked and disabled (unchecked) in search engine preferences.
This is what I found and it resolved my inability to perform a search on the web and my stuff it just came up with a blank white page, hopefully it may help. Another MS trick?

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-pro-search-box-not-working.9546/

Reaction score
I found it. A registry entry on Home, can be done with gpedit on Pro.

• 1. Run Registry Editor. (regedit.exe)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

3. In the right pane, do you see a value named "AllowCortana"? If Yes, is it set to 0x00000000?

When this value is there and if it is set to 0, the symptom will occur.

1. Delete this value and restart the computer.
And you have to turn on some of the telemetry.

Ask a Question