SOLVED Corupted MFT table

Reaction score
Not able to clone my HDD because my MFT bitmap is reported corrupted.
Sugested I do run the chkdsk C: / f / r /x
That is run from the administrator prompt.
Would like to know if this action is acutually possible when the OS is running, and if so, is it safe?
Or will the changes/repairs to bad sector/block kill my Windows?
Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking it is usually safe.
chkdsk C: /R
is something I do routinely on computers that I repair.
I'm not sure what you think your options might be but if you are concerned you can certainly backup all your critical data first.
AND
No it can't be run from the OS.
You use the Admin Command Prompt from within the OS, but....
It will prompt you and tell you that it can't be run and then ask you if you would like to run it when the next reboot occurs. To that, you would normally respond by typing a "Y" and hitting enter and exiting the command prompt and rebooting.

Reaction score
Generally speaking it is usually safe.
chkdsk C: /R
is something I do routinely on computers that I repair.
I'm not sure what you think your options might be but if you are concerned you can certainly backup all your critical data first.
AND
No it can't be run from the OS.
You use the Admin Command Prompt from within the OS, but....
It will prompt you and tell you that it can't be run and then ask you if you would like to run it when the next reboot occurs. To that, you would normally respond by typing a "Y" and hitting enter and exiting the command prompt and rebooting.

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed to find out before trying. Much appreciate it.

Ask a Question