SOLVED Creator update

Reaction score
System just updated. Once finished my neither Chrome or Edge were able to get past their first page. No response after that. Tried opening and closing the programs several times and tried rebooting several times also, nothing helped. Other resident programs seemed to work okay. Reset my computer to an earlier version, actually just before this update and all seems to be working well again. I don't trust updating to Creator again right now. Are there any suggestions of what I might need to do before updating to Creator so Chrome or Edge work after the update?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi GaNov,

Regarding Microsoft Edge not functioning as expected after updating to Creator:
  • After updating to Creator and restarting computer:
    • Right-click on Start and select Run
    • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
    • Select the Boot tab, then check the box next to Safe boot
    • Click Apply/OK and Restart computer
    • Sign-in to Safe Mode Desktop
    • An alert may pop up regarding app not working. Click OK
    • Open File Explorer
    • In File Explorer Address Bar type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
%localappdata%\Packages

Press Enter key

Scroll down and right-click on Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and select Delete
  • Close File Explorer
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then remove check in the box next to Safe boot
  • Click Apply/OK and Restart computer
  • Sign-in to Desktop
  • Type powershell in your Search/Cortana field
  • In the search results locate Windows PowerShell: right-click and select Run as administrator
  • When prompted by User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell that opens type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" –Verbose}

Press Enter key

Close PowerShell and Restart computer.​

As for Chrome browser, I'm not sure. Possibly uninstalling what you have, then downloading and installing it again will resolve things. You could check with Google Chrome Support Center (https://support.google.com/chrome/), or wait to see if anyone here in our Forum has a suggestion.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32, thanks for your reply. That is way above my understanding. I will try your suggestions and see how things workout.

GaNov

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just something I thought I might add.
Subsequent to the release of the Creators Update there have been a couple (maybe even a few) cumulative updates.
IF you decide at some future date to give it another go, I would suggest after rebooting, as you've mentioned above, going back and manually checking Windows Update to see if there is anything new laying out there in the weeds that might advance your version / build number to the most recent available.

Reaction score
Thanks to both Trouble and Regedit32. I did reload the update and both Edge and Chrome are working just fine after the update with no further work required. I guess something happened in the original loading process. I also checked for new updates and there apparently are none. Thanks to both of you for your help.
One more reason my computer confidence is always at zero.

Reaction score
Hi GaNov,

just a Q for you, are you running the latest version of W10?, see this thread if you want to do a full system upgrade if you haven't already done so:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-64095 :)

To find what version you have: System Settings > System > About:

windows build info.JPG

Ask a Question