Critical Chrome Update

Reaction score
I was browsing ebay this evening, and suddenly my Chrome browser redirected to a page that said "Critical Chrome Update". It was clearly adware or a virus as it had a dodgy looking domain name.

How is this even possible? I was on a trusted website and it redirected me. Does this mean I have an infection already on my PC, or has ebay been compromised, perhaps by one of the ads running on their site?

How can I tell if the problem is on my PC? I assume that as the browser redirected me, the problem was at ebay or their advertisers end.

Thank you for any assistance.

Bif

Reaction score
I would be very skeptical if this is a true Chrome message as they generally never redirect you to another page, first thing I would do is click settings in Chrome and see if there is an update for the browser.
NEVER click on pop up links even when they "seem" to be from a reliable source like Google Chrome.

Reaction score
Also clear all temporary files using either the on-board tools or CCleaner (Click on the free version!):

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Or type "disk cleanup" in search and run the app, tick the boxes that you want to clear, make sure all other windows/apps are closed beforehand: :)

disk cleanup.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you, I have run ccleaner and removed all the suggested files.

I'm still confused how I could be re-directed from a legitimate webpage? I would hope that ebay hasn't been hacked, so could an advert (that I didn't click on) have code that redirected the page via a vulnerability?

Reaction score
I got up this morning to a large chrome icon and it said "Critical Chrome Update" and I think a button to either download or update which I did not do, I closed the tab.

I went to my history and clicked on that address which was from aebootechgigs.org
This site can’t be reached
aebootechgigs.org refused to connect.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Reaction score
Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) is the latest Chrome. I just checked it. Look under Help- About Chrome. If you need an update it will do it for you there from the official site.

Ask a Question