SOLVED "Critical Error" Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign

Reaction score
Been using Win 10 for several months now and all of a sudden I get this message.

Problem is since the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner in now not functioning I can't do a restart holding down the shift key at the same time (this was posted as a recommended fix) to get a "safe" boot.

How do I fix it?

I'm able to get a browser up while this message (see thread description) is still active on the screen which I can move around to enable me to type this message. Obviously, "Cortana" is frozen as well.

Please let me know what I can do. I've tried restarting several times and shutting down all the way and restarting but nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Reaction score
This is Jim responding. I didn't find a way to let you know how this problem was "solved" although it could be only temporary.

Since I had no use of the start button or Cortana, I restarted and kept pressing F8 not even knowing this would fix anything or if I needed a different F-key. However, for whatever reason, it worked and I'm functioning now like I never had a problem. I was doing this in hope of an option to use "safe mode" but that never happened either. Guess I just got lucky. Not sure this answer will help anyone else but thanks to those who viewed and tried to help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up Jim.
glad to hear that you've sorted it out.
Appreciate the additional information.

C

ChaHa504

Hi,
I've read through the threads for this error and was able to get into safe mode. However, now I have no curser therefore unable to click on an icon. Help!

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are using a wireless mouse then it's possible that the driver didn't load in safe mode.
Substituting a USB wired mouse might help, you can simply plug it in.
You can also use your keyboard, assuming the drivers loaded for it to restart
Windows Logo key arrow keys down, space bar to expand, arrow key again and enter.

Reaction score
The F8 trick worked for me with regards to the start menu.
Seems to have happened after 10586.71 update.
Thanks James.

Ask a Question