Critical Error Start Menu Not Working

Reaction score
tried almost all tricks from net.reboot.powershell.uninstalling av.etc but nothing working.please can any tell me exact solution to fix this error?
i came here to solve this problem.i will also pay if my problem solve.thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We've heard a lot of temporary solutions but I'm not sure we've heard a single permanent fix.
Try this.....
At the sign-in screen, do not sign-in. Use the power icon button on the sign-in screen to restart your computer...... hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking restart.
From there you can navigate the advance troubleshooting option screens to get to "Startup Settings" and use that to boot into Safe Mode (choice number four #4 when you reach the appropriate screen)
Sign in, in safe mode and let it sit, have a cup of coffee, give it a minute or two and then restart normally.
See what happens.

IF that doesn't help then.... create a new user
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

See if the same problem persists in the new user account.

Reaction score
We've heard a lot of temporary solutions but I'm not sure we've heard a single permanent fix.
Try this.....
At the sign-in screen, do not sign-in. Use the power icon button on the sign-in screen to restart your computer...... hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking restart.
From there you can navigate the advance troubleshooting option screens to get to "Startup Settings" and use that to boot into Safe Mode (choice number four #4 when you reach the appropriate screen)
Sign in, in safe mode and let it sit, have a cup of coffee, give it a minute or two and then restart normally.
See what happens.

IF that doesn't help then.... create a new user
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

See if the same problem persists in the new user account.
Hi I have the same type of problem and my computer is stuck in the crytical error loop, as a result my computer is to all intent unusable for me.
It all happened after an, update and what seems to have happened is that I can not get a restore point previous to that change, if I could I feel it might enable me to start again.
One message I get is that it cant find X8076D~1.SYS.
I feel this is now the resposability of Microsoft to fix it as I did not cause the problem, they did.
I can not afford to have my computer fixed by a professional.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I feel this is now the resposability of Microsoft to fix it
Good luck with that.
Assuming you can get to the sign-in screen, don't sign-in.
Hold the shift key and use the power icon on the sign-in screen to choose restart while holding the shift key.
After you click the restart button and navigate the advance trouble shooting screens you should see "Startup Settings", from there you should be able to boot to safe mode.
IF that is doable, let us know

Reaction score
Good luck with that.
Hold the shift key and use the power icon on the sign-in screen to choose restart while holding the shift key.
After you click the restart button and navigate the advance trouble shooting screens you should see "Startup Settings", from there you should be able to boot to safe mode.
Hi I dont actualy get the sign in screen I get the error screen and ten the auto fix and on with the eternal loop I have tried all the options in advanced fix and always end up chasing my proverbial

Reaction score
I assume that means that you have tried a System Restore, all the way back to one of your earliest restore points?
Yes I have and I think that might be a part of my problem in that I am not able to select a point previous to the update in March which I suspect was the new build. I have also tried the option revert to the old build with the same result.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF that includes a reset, which should protect your personal data, but will require reinstallation of all your programs and such.........
It would seem that you have exhausted pretty much everything that I can think of.
It may be time to backup your critical data and consider a clean install :(

Reaction score
IF that includes a reset, which should protect your personal data, but will require reinstallation of all your programs and such.........
It would seem that you have exhausted pretty much everything that I can think of.
It may be time to backup your critical data and consider a clean install :(
First let me thank you for your efforts to help. I have tried everything, just as a point of interest one message I got on a failure went something like (c:\windows\winsxs\backup\x8076d~1.sys not found or damaged.
The trash can is starting to look an option. Again thank you

Reaction score
Do you happen t0 know what that file is?

Usually files with a ~ is some type of temporary or compress file. If you don't know what it is there is a chance it is a virus and something is starting with the system which tries to access it.

There may be some bootable form or anti-virus you could use or if you can boot into safe mode or get into the command prompt you might be able to stop whatever is starting up.

If you get back into the regular system you might try using Task Manger to see what is booting and disable it. If that doesn't work using a utility called Autoruns may allow you to stop it from booting.

Reaction score
Good luck with that.
Hi just as a follow up I did contact Microsoft and they returned my computer to win7 via remote access , they were most helpfull and all at no cost to me. Thank you once again.

Ask a Question