Critical Error with Start up and Cortana

Reaction score
Good Morning,
This is my first post on any kind of site like this....be gentlem I am a VERY basic user to say the least. lol.
I randomly rec'd this message on my lap top yesterday, so i found and read some of the multiple fixes listed here. I have tried to hold the shift key and turn it off as suggested, to get to the safe mode. After i select #4 for the safe mode, it takes me to my password screen and says my password is incorrect (its not), it also says no internet connection. I am unable to get passed the password screen. i have hard re-booted several times, no luck. I was able to sneak inside through my desttop and run multiple scans, defrag, optimize etc. All to no avail.

I also saw suggestions to right click on the start menu, however when i put my curser in that area, it turns to the hourglass and does nothing, and will not select or bring anyother menu choices. I also tried the CMD as administrator suggestion, but I might be doing it wrong, as when the black small window opens, and i type SFC/scannow then enter, nothing happens, and....im not sure what is supposed to happen to continue on with the further instructions given....

I see the word "solved" over this thread, but its not for me! I hope I can still get some info here.

Daphne

Reaction score
What Anti Virus program are you using? OK if you are using Avast just update the program If you want to try to run sfc /scannow do so as described in the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

You also can try to remove this patch KB3093266 and then restart your PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What Anti Virus program are you using?
Hi,....Whatever came on the computer, Im sorry i don't know about those things, other then i don't install my own anything. I have a laptop HP pavillion x360 if that helps.

Reaction score
What Anti Virus program are you using? OK if you are using Avast just update the program If you want to try to run sfc /scannow do so as described in the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

You also can try to remove this patch KB3093266 and then restart your PC.

Wow, I just came home and checked on the laptop and it now says" Smart hard disk imminent failure". This is really upsetting as it's barely a year old, and worked perfect untill yesterday when the Microsoft error showed up...

Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. My computer failed, unable to be used at all. 600 bucks down the tubes and I only had it for 13 mos. HP support wants 302$ to give me a new hard-drive. Only had windows 10 for 3 weeks. It was an AUTOMATIC upgrade, HP acknowledged this yet they won't stand behind the problem it caused. Im devastated right now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Smart hard disk imminent failure
That is an unfortunate event and may of course explain your problems with the windows 10 install.
Hard drives do fail.
A good reason to maintain backups of critical data as well as a system disk image as described here....
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Moving forward.....
What you need from HP (since your computer is apparently outside any manufacturer's warranty) is recovery media. They should be able to provide you with a DVD or set of DVDs to factory reset your computer for a nominal fee.
What you'll need additionally is, a new hard drive. Any Big Box store will likely have the identical drive or something equivalent.
It sounds more daunting than it actually is.
Usually with a small phillips screwdriver and some patience you can remove your existing (failing) hard drive from your laptop and replace it with a new one. They're relatively inexpensive and not a big deal to remove and replace.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04179264

After which you can boot your computer from the HP recovery media and restore it to factory condition.

In the interim....
The drive is "failing" but may not have completely failed.
Once removed you may be able to attach it to another computer with a USB dock or USB cables made for just such a purpose and ....
Maybe recover any critical data that may still be accessible on the failing drive.
Just because it won't boot doesn't mean that it may not still, contain files and folders that you can copy off to a second computer.

I suspect the whole process would cost a small fraction of the $300 bucks HP wants for the replacement hard drive.

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for the detailed response. I have to admit today Im am flaming angry. I did not crash my own computer, It was definitely related to microsoft update over the weekend, and matches the exact timing during my homework. I do not feel i should pay for this!!! I called HP and Microsoft. Its a small lap top with no CD thing. Luckily I save everything in Icloud, and use it for nothing but homework, so Im really not out of anything critical. I found numerous articles, one from FORBES that state Windows 10 upgrade (done automatically) is crashing computers.
With all this info it seems to me there should be recourse from the company?? Is this a pipe dream? I found a microsoft store near me and will bring it there today. Microsoft tried to say sorry, hard disk is not our issue, and i said OH YES IT IS, as it crashed after your error message showed up! The Microsoft forum has many of the same complaints about the criical error message and suggest much of the same things this site does.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The "Critical Error with Start up and Cortana" is most definitely a Microsoft error and a Microsoft Problem, however.......
The S.M.A.R.T (Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a product of information produced by your physical hard disk indicating its' Status and in your case it is indicating that it is failing.
That has nothing at all to do with Microsoft or Windows or any other software product. It is a physical thing, solely related to your hard drive and is no more related to any Operating System than adding error in your car tires would account for engine noise coming from under your hood. You can add or subtract air in your tires but the engine is still going to be your root problem.
You hard drive could be empty, completely wiped and blank of all content..... It would still be physically failing.
AND
That is likely the cause of your Operating System problems not (as you seem to think) the other way around.

I'm sorry, and wish I had better news, but.....
You are just an unfortunate victim of a terrible and coincidental circumstance.
You were installing / upgrading your computer to a new operating system and had no way of knowing in advance that the hard drive was physically failing.
I can say, without any reservation, that with or without the Windows 10 upgrade, you would have seen that S.M.A.R.T error sooner or later anyway. The upgrade simply taxed your drive sooner and here we are.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for clarifying info. With it , i will drop the anger, and just look into getting a new laptop...Any suggestions where spending 600$ would give me a better lasting computer?? it was a little HP for school??

Reaction score
Thank you so much for clarifying info. With it , i will drop the anger, and just look into getting a new laptop...Any suggestions where spending 600$ would give me a better lasting computer?? it was a little HP for school??

or just go get a new harddrive like u suggested??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
a better lasting computer
Fortunately, I suspect your computer is still "lasting" and it is likely only the hard drive that has failed and needs to be replaced.
Unfortunately, hard drives do that and a new computer or even a new hard drive will not guarantee anything "lasting"
I have had them arrive, dead out of the box.
I have had them fail promptly within 30 to 90 days
I have had some that seem to last forever.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
or just go get a new harddrive like u suggested??
Yep.... best bet and way cheaper.
If I lived closer I would do it for nothing accept the cost of parts.
You must have or know a geek close to where you live that does this kind of thing all the time.
Ask around, surely someone will know a good reliable resource for you to contact locally.

Reaction score
I can't thank you enough for explaining this. I have never been in a forum and i really appreciate the time you took with me. You have certainly provided a more productive way for me to use my time and energy and for sure a HUGE lesson in computers. My nephew has worked at Best Buy for 7 years! Score ;))

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My nephew has worked at Best Buy for 7 years
If he can't do it, then he'll likely no someone who can.
Good luck and keep us posted.
In the mean time maybe get back in touch with hp and see if you can get the recovery media headed your way.
IF they won't provide it for free, it shouldn't cost more that $25 bucks or so, I wouldn't think.
Maybe you can embarrass them into a freebie considering their hard drive failed one month after warranty.

Reaction score
Hi!!
So funny I literally just got off the phone with my nephew who told me that!! Of course i had no idea that gettting a new hard-drive would make it a blank, and I had to find a way to put everything back on lol. Good thing my Law school semester ends in 6 weeks and its not the beginning!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just got an email from Acronis, promoting their 2016 product and wanting me to upgrade from 2015, which I probably will but, when I'm ready and after I shop around, but......
Interestingly they included a statistic which stated.....
"140,000 drives fail every week"
I have no idea if that is accurate or not, maybe just a scare tactic to encourage the purchase, but it wouldn't surprise me at all considering the number of devices globally.

Reaction score
Hello Trouble,
I had wanted to follow up with you regarding my crashed computer. I have ordered the recovery USB as u suggested and it was 43$, then I phoned microsoft and they provided a link so I can re-download my Home office when all is ready!! My son has ordered a new driver for me. Hopefully in about 2 weeks everything will be back working. Thank you again for your immediate responses from the moment i posted, you have made it possible for me to recoup this issue very quickly. As a law student full time, and a starving one at that I appreciate it!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck and .....
Definitely keep us posted.

Ask a Question