Critical Error

Reaction score
Windows 10 loaded OK and everything seemed to work OK. Few days later having tried to sign in I got a message that the start menu isn't working and they will try to fix it the next time I sign in.
Now I have to click the signing in icon to enable I can get to my programmes etc and to go online.
Is this a common fault and is there a fix?

Reaction score
The only possible fix will have to come from Microsoft itself, the creator of this mess. Here is what I posted on the Microsoft Forum last week:

SHAME ON YOU, MICROSOFT:
There are hundreds if not thousands of worldwide posts already on the internet complaining about that major issue, that is the Critical Error-Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" (which of course doesn't work, what a joke!).
I have tried countless of so-called "solutions" found here and there on the net, including some suggested by your "brilliant" software engineers (who I suspect very well know the troubleshooting won't fix anything, which is quite insulting as far as I'm concerned), wasting hours and hours trying to figure out how to fix your mess, or even trying to revert back to Windows 7, all to no avail.
Man, I had a perfectly fine working Windows 7 before installing this piece of garbage. No wonder it's free!
MICROSOFT, you owe it to your customers to have your I.T. SWAT team work around the clock to come up with a fix ASAP via an update that automatically installs without having the end-user perform some complicated computational cyber-gymnastics to repair your useless catastrophic non-operating system.
You also owe it to your customers to keep us posted about development via press releases so we know what's going on and when exactly can we expect to get our computers back to normal. Anything less would show contempt and arrogance and will guarantee you a PR nightmare, you can be certain of that. Simply hiding behind some vague casual statements from a brain-washed spokesperson is not enough, such as this gem from last week:
"Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and Jen, who works for Microsoft, stated that they are looking into the matter and that a fix is on the way. We've fixed many of the underlying causes for this issue, but there are still some eluding us, and I'm sorry to hear that this is impacting you guys" (no kidding, Jen!)."We have telemetry and crash reports that we're watching for this."
Thanks for the update, Jen from Microsoft. So, Jen, any news since then?
Signed: An incredibly frustrated and angry customer

Reaction score
I had this issue for the first time tonight. I have an HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, that I updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 a couple weeks ago. I did search using my phone to find a solution, and that led me to check Task Manager. I didn't see anything unusual. I did see the thing about running sfc/scannow, but did not run that. Instead I ran my Glary Utilities scanner. I have it set to run Registry Cleaner, Shortcuts Fixer, Spyware remover, Disk Repair, Tracks Eraser, Temporary files cleaner, and start up manager. it didn't find anything with the registry, or shortcuts finder, it found 1 issue in disk repair, and whatever in temp files. Didn't find anything to fix in start up manager. After all that ran, I hit CNTRL+ALT+DEL to be able to use a power button to restart, since start menu was DOA.

As it was restarting Windows updated itself which ran for a bit. Then I logged on and the problem appears to be gone for now. Not sure if it was the update or if it was the disk error Glary found or what. But it worked for me.

Hope this helps others.

Also, upon looking at some other forums it appears the most recent Microsoft update is the fix. So run an update.

Reaction score
I doubt you fixed anything with this procedure. I just think you were lucky or Microsoft actually did the update that everybody's been waiting for. If not, be ready for that error to come back anytime soon.

By the way, users do not run updates with Windows 10, Microsoft does, automatically, all the time, with no way of opting out. They now run the show.

Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion, but you apparently didn't read my whole post. I stated in the last line that I suspected it was the windows update that had the fix and not my running of Glary Utilities. Also, Windows 10 does have a Windows Updater you can get to in settings and manually run an update, and change the settings off of automatic.

Thanks anyways.

Oh yeah, 24 hours and the problem has not yet returned.

Ask a Question