critical error

Reaction score
"start menu and cortana aren`t working. We`ll try to fix it the next time you sign in. Sign out now"

what`s happening? My 5.1 speaker system has only 2 speakers working now. My task bar is not working either. any advice would be very much appreciated.
thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hold the Shift key when clicking restart.
Restart your computer in Safe Mode Choice Number 4 or Safe Mode with Networking Choice #5 and then restart normally from there.
See if that makes any difference.
There is likely something like a driver or a third party software product causing the issue.
If going through Safe Mode seems to make a positive impact on the problem, you might want to try a Clean Boot and see if you can further diagnose the issue.
Instructions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

AND
Please refrain from multi / cross posting.

Reaction score
"critical error" sign has gone and my taskbar is working again. Will check drivers regarding speaker problems. Many thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear, thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Keep us posted.... It sure would be nice to actually be able to track down and pinpoint what is producing some of these symptoms.

Ask a Question