SOLVED Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429).

Reaction score
7 attempts to install this fiasco. Downloaded 7 times, restart," could not install" !
Time taken =hours.
Definition of an expert, broken down into it's component parts (service in this case, Microsoft) = EX=has been, Spurt=Drips under pressure!

Any solutions that do not entail me spending 2 weeks re-installing everything?
Many thanks.
Graham.

Reaction score
Bit of an assumption "this fiasco" if you have been unable to install it?
No problem here, Done three days ago without probs.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Assumption,Negative.
Fact.Now 8 times,same.
Gideon: Tried this after 3rd attempt. same result. Additionally cleared cash,same result. now getting error (0x800705b4)

Reaction score
Assumption,Negative.
Fact.Now 8 times,same.
Gideon: Tried this after 3rd attempt. same result. Additionally cleared cash,same result. now getting error (0x800705b4)
If you have an ISO or DVD, try an in place repair upgrade.

Reaction score
upload_2017-3-17_16-54-38.png

Reaction score
Above please find listing of attempted up date failures.
Additionally, I tried your link again,Gideon. result it appeared to work,however, after requested restart, it still has not installed, even though the download at your link states it worked.
No record among already installed updates and the in settings, would you believe it,it's still trying to install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Read this thread
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-update-failed.12472/
Regedit32 prepared a very well constructed and detailed solution, that while a bit labor intensive it should fix anything and everything wrong with the Windows Update process by pretty much wiping out any potentially bad source files and rebuilding / re-registering the various components.

Might be an excellent bookmark for any future problems with Windows Update.
I have bookmarked it as well as copied his entire post to a text file for reference or even printing.

Reaction score
:mad: Hello all. This is not me here,it is my ghost. Lol.I was carted away and sectioned, raving mad and babbling about what I would do if i could get my hands on Microsoft programmers.
Well! I have tried the full house in respect of your kind suggestions in order to rectify my current problem.Unfortunately, not one of your kind help suggestions has worked in my case.

Even regedit32 solution, which i applied in the early hours of this morning. After rebooting the system, no change whatsoever.
5033-de041b0afc05061e0b359905a86026c8.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170320_172913.jpg
    Screenshot_20170320_172913.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 607
Reaction score
Purely as a matter of interest, where are updates stored? In windows 7 it was easy to view with full listing of updates already installed. In W10 however,looking under settings,uninstall updates, I have a listing here comprising large section for Microsoft Office Pro 2010,odds and sods comprising acrobat update,Silverlight,Microsoft Visual, and then Microsoft Windows 7?.
I am on Windows 10. Entries here comprise 7 entries of update.
Where did the rest go already downloaded previously by Windows 10.

Therefore, I can not check what updates are on, or not.
Reasoning, have I already got it installed, causing Microsoft Update not to install it again.

Reaction score
I updated my second machine last night with all of the March updates. After downloading and installing the updates I got a message Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429) failed. We were unable to restart your PC during active hours.
I manually shutdown the PC clicked on "Shut down Pending updates. The PC restarted and immediately installed Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429) successfully.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Purely as a matter of interest, where are updates stored? In windows 7 it was easy to view with full listing of updates already installed. In W10 however,looking under settings,uninstall updates, I have a listing here comprising large section for Microsoft Office Pro 2010,odds and sods comprising acrobat update,Silverlight,Microsoft Visual, and then Microsoft Windows 7?.
I am on Windows 10. Entries here comprise 7 entries of update.
Where did the rest go already downloaded previously by Windows 10.

Therefore, I can not check what updates are on, or not.
Reasoning, have I already got it installed, causing Microsoft Update not to install it again.
Control Panel---Programs & Features---View installed updates
Scroll down to the bottom.
OR
Action Center---All settings---Update & Security---Update history

Reaction score
Many thanks Comp Cmndo. same list i must have been looking at under settings. Lot of updates not showing.

Norton, when you say shut down manually, additionally,"Shut down pending updates", do you mean (a) Pushed shut down button/power button. (b) Never seen shut down pending updates ever shown as an option.

Computer just tried to install AGAIN KB4013429 and failed to do so. Since reset by Regedit 32 method, I now have 3 more failures bringing grand total to 13 or 14 in total.

Reaction score
No button pushing, just right clicked on the Windows Start to select shutdown and there was a notification to shutdown and install updates. I just click on the notification and let Windows do its thing, shutdown, restart and install updates. When I logged in the update was downloading a (successfully) second time.

Reaction score
KB4013429, version 1607 downloaded and installed automatically but when I restarted my laptop, there was no internet. I uninstalled the "upgrade" and all is well. What now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
:D Many thanks Norton. Not worked for me as yet,will keep trying. Problem appears to me to be that it continually downloads, however, after a restart, as requested, it never installs.Still downloading now, 15 attempts and no doubt it still will not install. Completely past my understanding.

bobo, welcome to the club. Hope you have better luck. At least you were able to install the fiasco.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A more recent cumulative update has been issued KB4015438
Use Internet Explorer and go here https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4015438
Download the appropriate update for your system / architecture and save it to your desktop and then double click it and use that standalone installer to install locally without using Windows Update.
See what happens.
It's cumulative so one would hope if it addresses the issues some are having with the previous update in will include those bits needed.

Reaction score
:( Just tried again (15 times) same result, "we could not finish installing update". KB4015438? Is that not for servers? Will give it a try,thank you.

Ask a Question