Cumulative update issues

Reaction score
I am having some issues with updating some of the latest cumulative updates starting back in February updates.
I will say this, these machines are on a network that does not have access to the internet as we know it (not going into detail on this)
I have around 50 machines but 27 of them are failing some updates, namely KB4088787 and KB4093119.
Machines are Windows 10 1607 OS build 14393.xxxx
At first glance I was figuring this was happening as those 27 machines are machines that are getting used daily with people logged into them and actively using them. 22 of them are my own and other machines that are in a backup site scenario that are kept online and running but hardly any user interaction. Those 22 have had the updates clear successfully. "some" of the 27 have not.
Things I have tried to get the updates to work as all the other fixes I have found online do not in most cases. I will list the fixes I have tried in steps.
1. expand -F:* KB408878.msu c:\temp\ -I used this to extract the .cab file
2. dism /Online /Add-Package /Packagepath:c:\temp\KB408878.cab -this installed some kind of wrapper and worked in some cases
3. Install the KB408878.msu -in some cases the updates processed and asked for a reboot, some of the machines accepted the update after reboot and other failed.

I have also tried doing the following DISM fixes.
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ChekcHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
I have also tried the following.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren c:\windows\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old
ren c:\windows\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Install the KB408878.msu

I have also tried the wu170509.diagcab troubleshooter.

For the machines that the dism did not work on, the "net" operations above did not really do anything.
I figured Windows was smart enough to be able to install these updates while a user is logged into the box but from what I am seeing, all the machines with users constantly logged in are running into the issues.
All of these machines are cloned from the exact same image that I created back in October. I didn't start running this problem until these last two cumulative updates.

I am unable to upload any files as I can not bring those files to this computer.
Anyone have any other ideas I can try, maybe a registry file I can look at or some other function of clearing wupdate process that I haven't tried yet?

Reaction score
Given that I am way out of date on this stuff ( been retired since 2006) shouldn't all these 50 machines be running enterprise and be in a domain with a server to do all the updates? IRRC there was some specific software for MS to do all this stuff.

And 1607 is a bit old now is it not? Is it still supported?

Ask a Question