SOLVED Current process for Insider Build on new machine.

Reaction score
Since I have been out of the program for a while, I was wondering if the current status requires a Win 10 license key before activating an Insider build? I am going to get one, just wanted to break in the new machine for a while first..

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes it does. You typically install the insider preview build more or less as if it were a upgrade.
Although it's worth mentioning that it will, except for a few minor nuisance issues run perfectly fine without it, although you are allowed to do some of the usual stuff like personalization and such.
I would also assume if you stayed on an unactivated insider build long enough it would start prompting you to activate, but.... they change so often you might not be troubled.
just wanted to break in the new machine for a while first..
You can always add /change the product key at any point in time to get back on the strictly legit side of things.

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I will let it go for a while to see what it does. I was hoping to wait until the new Win 10 build comes out before I purchase a new license. But if I am forced to update I will just go back the normal windows.

I have already seen two problems in this build and it just upgraded to 17127 but I don't know which versions are which.

Thank for staying up late... ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Makes sense.
Although, the license you purchase will likely be valid across past, present and future builds and the source will likely be a download, since I woudn't expect the latest versions of a build to start showing up on store shelfs right away, I think you'll be good to go, no matter which way you decide to proceed.

Reaction score
Sorry, I did not see your previous post. The system is doing funny things, like when I was writing my post an update showing a restart was required knocked me off the fourm ..

If I can hold on for at least a few days, my new memory will be here so I won't have to deal wit Microsoft thinking this is another machine...

Reaction score
Well, everything is activated so all should be working.... Soooooo ..

Edge won't let me go to some sites where IE has no problem. Such as Nvidia and Steam.

Mail seems to have changed it account setup so I can no longer use the Other accounts option.

Border around windows … this may have happened some time ago, but just noticed it.

Had problems trying to get a Display Port video output to work on my Gaming 144 Hz monitor, kept getting a black screen. HDMI seemed to work normally.

Ask a Question