Customising colors

Reaction score
I've just upgraded from Win7 to Win10. How do I customise the colour of the Active Title Bar, Desktop Background, Taskbar, Scroll bars etc? I do not like any of the pre-set colours in 'Personalise' and 'Choose a colour, nor the black Task Bar. This used to be easy and infinitely customizable in Win XP and Win7.

Also, How do I increase the size of the scrollbars?

Reaction score
Also how to change the "File, Edit, Help, etc" menu bar background color. Some apps you cannot see the text unless you hover over them because the new Windows 10 themes clash

Reaction score
Settings for colors and text sizes have been separated
Settings -> Personalization -> Colors
You have less choices than what used to be...

Reaction score
David Crabtree .... Have received your email and read your comment in this thread. I'm not used to using forums so I'm not sure whether you are offering a solution or simply stating that you too are trying to find a way of changing colors.
Also srie .... again I don't know if you are offering a solution.

Reaction score
No Solution from me. Just adding that I also am having troubles and wanted to include the menu bar as something that I cannot figure out how to change the color on.

Reaction score
Like others, I am still trying to 'tame' Win10. I have not cracked the color customization but there is an entry in registry for the 'Active Title bar' color. Start Regedit and browse to:
HKEY_current_user\controlpanel\desktop\windowsmetrics and scroll to Activetitlebar. Changing the values should change the 'File, Edit, Help etc' background.
The same registry key has entries for scrollbar width and scrollbar height. I've changed the values from -255 to-350 and it makes the scrollbars much easier to use.
Also, if you are having problem with the Taskbar not auto-hiding, right click the 'Show desktop' icon at extreme right of taskbar and click 'show desktop'. It worked for me.
Sorry if this is old hat to you. I'm a novice and passing on some of the things I'm finding.

Ask a Question