Default view after closing a file in folder

Reaction score
Sir, when I close a file (let us say, a word document) from a folder, I want to see the folder's contents. It should be my default screen view. Instead of that, my screen shows some other word document that I have already opened. It annoys me to again go to my folder. How to resolve this problem?

Reaction score
Hi Selvaraj,

could you post a screenshot as I am not quite sure what you mean?. :)

Reaction score
Sir, thank you for your response. I have attached a document that explains my problem with screenshots.

Reaction score
I think you would have to minimize all open Word documents and that would leave the parent folder open in the background?. ;)

Reaction score
I think you would have to minimize all open Word documents and that would leave the parent folder open in the background?. ;)
I want to know if there is a way to directly view the parent folder upon closing a file opened from it. That is easier than minimizing other files and then viewing the folder.

Reaction score
Just click on the file explorer symbol in the bottom panel!. ;)
That is too obvious one, but not what I want. Windows should directly take me to my parent folder, if I close a file from it. It should not take to some other file. Hope you got it.

Reaction score
But what you are looking at is a word document, IN word. Surely the file explorer is still open, hidden underneath? You are closing one of multi files in word, so word stays open, and, by default, shows the next file you are looking at in word. Try moving word a little to one side.

Reaction score
These things are hard to explain and understand, so I will go through what happens with mine.

If I open Explorer (parent folder) I show two files in the normal Word saving location. I can open each file in its own window and it does not effect the Parent folder whether I close one or both files..

Since you are not keeping the files in a normal Word location, you might check the options to see what you show for storage locations for your Word files.. The system may be having to create some type of temporary location to make sure the file can be backed up or AutoSaved..

Reaction score
If you look at his picture, saltgrass, he has two word documents open, within word of course, on his desktop. The desktop, taskbar etc are all there. Hence my post

Reaction score
If you don't minimize each open app/doc, it will remain in the background when you open another app/doc, when you close one app/doc, the last one you had on the screen will show. So, minimize each open app/doc when you still want it open but in a sleeping state, that way you will have a clear desktop and you just need to click on the app/doc icon in the taskbar.

I don't know of any other way!. ;)

Reaction score
@davehc , you understand my post was not meant for you, right.

I normally open Word and then open documents. But this time I opened the parent folder, Explorer, and double clicked and opened each document because it looks like that was what the OP was doing... But I could be misunderstanding the problem..

Reaction score
@davehc The Explorer window never closed..

If he is referring to the document window, you can go to File and get the opening Word screen back.

If the OP is referring to the Taskbar, perhaps he is referring to combining buttons and if the Taskbar is full then the buttons will combine.. But I am still a little confused.. And for some reason I can no longer open the .pdf file attached.. Maybe he should just zip the files and attach directly in the forum..

Ask a Question