Defender not running

Reaction score
I find my newly installed Windows 10 is running MS security Essentials and not Defender. clicking defender in control Panel results in a screen advising another App is running ie as above and through Control Panel that Essentials app won't uninstall.
as MS recommend defender be used how do I remove MS Essentials. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding to my issue David. This pc is on Windows 10 Home updated from Windows 7 Home Premium. A search of the files in the pc revealed gpedit.msc. Is this of use?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials should be available for removal from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features applet.
After removal you can use the Control Panel -> Security and Maintenance applet to turn on "Defender".
Have a look through this and maybe try the fixit app or the manual removal steps if you cannot uninstall it from Programs and Features.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483120

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble,
Control Panel -> Programs and Features applet wont remove the my Microsoft Security Essentials unfortunately.
Control Panel -> Security and Maintenance applet shows Microsoft Security Essentials is On for virus and spyware and all else is covered such as firewall and smart screen.

My concern is that Microsoft Security Essentials may not be appropriate and that I should be running Defender on Win 10!

I looked at your link to remove Microsoft Security Essentials and see it relates to OS's up to Win 7. As I am running Win 10 will this apply?

Thanks again for the help here.

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem. Unable to remove MS essentials and get the error message Defender not running at boot up. Unable to remove MSE using program features. Laptop running Windows Home Premium.

Ask a Question