SOLVED Defender Protected Files

Reaction score
I'm currently turning off Windows Defender Protected Files when scanning my HD using Malwarebytes Premium. Other than turning off Protected Files, does anyone have another way to allow mambam or Ccleaner to scan protected files.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Norton,
  • Open the Windows Defender Security Center
  • Click on Virus & threat protection settings
  • Scroll down to Controlled folder access
  • Beneath the on/off toggle click Allow an app through controlled folder access
  • Click the + next to Add an app then select the app's executable file from the Programs folder list
Note: When you select an app to have access to the controlled folder, it will only allow that app access if it is opening from the location you added it from. This is to prevent malware pretending to be that app running from a different location and infecting your files.

Reaction score
Regedit Thanks! I already have Ccleaner and Malwarebytes apps to the protected folder list.
But, I still receive notifications that Malwarebytes was blocked from accessing certain protected files. Thia is the reason why I now turn off the protected folders when manually performing a scan. I'm still a tad confused as to the correct way of scanning protected files for malware.
BTW With the protected folders turned OFF (temporarily) for malware scanning, I don't receive any notifications in the tray.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Protected Folder list ought to contain documents and other files you want to protect.
  • That list of additions should not include Malwarebytes or CCleaner.

The Allow app through controlled folder access list is where you add Malwarebytes and CCleaner.
  • This second list is a list of apps you are giving permission to access your protected folder(s) and files.

Reaction score
Regedit My apologies for misleading info.
Malwarebytes and Ccleaner are in the "Allow app through controlled folder access list"
I have an update on the OP. After the definition update of Defender today, I performed a manual scan with Malwarebytes, the scan was successful with no notification alerts.
Tonight Malwarebytes performed its daily scheduled scan, also with no notification alerts.
Maybe the Defender definition update today now recognises Malwarebytes as a friendly App?
The more I think about safety, the more questions I seem to have. Now I wonder if its wise to let these apps through the controlled access folder list or turn the protected folder list off for scanning purposes?

Reaction score
Wolfie Thanks for the link. After the definition update earlier this week Malwarebytes is no longer blocked from accessing protected files. Maybe now Windows recognises mabam as a friendly app. The notifications are no longer triggered, whether the scan is manual or scheduled.

Reaction score
On my new laptop (eBay purchase), it came with the Macafee Anti Virus Suite thingy (pre-installed), I will leave it on for now and see how it does, I did have Avast on 2 other computers (free version) but I am thinking it has too many pop-ups for my liking and will eventually remove it and revert back to Windows Defender!.

I do think though that if you are using WD as your only AV app, I would only surf the web with Edge browser as I am not convinced that WD protects other browsers like FireFox?. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Norton but it doesn't really answer the question, I know that the other browser have security scanners in them but I am more concerned about general browsing. :)

Reaction score
Simple, who really gives a damn about you ( sorry but it's true ), you're being tracked day and night by Microsoft / Google/ Apple/ Facebook/ Twitter/ Flashplayer. These lot are the major spyware operators, the malware is if you want free copies of any programme, Hacking accounts - do you really think you're worth it as opposed to the online bank you're with. Get real the threat is stupidity, why click on a link to an email from your bank or Paypal, just click on their website. If you like to travel in the WWW (wicked wild west), then install Firefox with Ublock add on, you'll have to tell them when it's ok when they say no.

Reaction score
Wolfie I found this on MS Community blog, It may answer some of your concerns
re- Third party AV /Browsers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...i/c8a19f15-4aef-468a-8282-34c9cc528112?auth=1
Hi Norton, when you open Malwarebytes, Settings and tick: "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Activity Centre", Malwarebytes will work and there no longer seem to be any problems. I am not quite sure, where this information came from, but it most likely came from a Malwarebyte Forum. computercat99

Reaction score
Just to add that I removed McAfee from my new surfbook (flash name for a laptop) and just use Edge browser now. WD seems to do the job and as we have discussed in other threads, I for one have all my files backed up and am not worried if I get a virus as it is often quicker to do a fresh install and just copy and paste my data back over than to fart around with finding the cause of the viral infection. ;)

I do not have Malwarebytes installed either btw!. :confused:

That said, a company cannot afford to be so care free and would need strong protection for its systems!. :)

Ask a Question