Defender settings

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just noticed in windows Defender settings that there are two areas of concern. Cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission. I've never seen these before and both are turned off and have yellow triangles on them.

Should both of these be turned on?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would think so.
Just checked mine and they are both on. I don't remember doing that myself although it may be a hold over from a previous update as I'm not currently running a clean install yet so I don't know the default setting.
The only thing turned off in mine is

Capture.PNG

Which looks to me like it might also be a pretty good thing to switch to the "ON" position.

Reaction score
It's worthwhile customising the "Exclusions" also, if you run externals which you take care of yourself

Reaction score
Windows 10 Defender Security Center Features to Protect PC
Windows Defender is not a completely new feature to a Windows operating system, it was there before in previous Windows versions. One may remember that in earlier versions of Windows there was a Windows Defender application which is basically an Anti-Virus app built into the operating system. This app could notify it was active, whether the virus definitions were up to date and when the last scan was, that was it.

Windows Defender Security features have built in Antivirus protection in addition to the firewall and Network protection. Windows Family options give you more control on your portable devices and also you can keep an eye on device health with Device Performance and Health feature implemented on Windows 10 OS.
More:https://mashtips.com/windows-defender-security-center-features/

Reaction score
Here is a good one, discovered by accident:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/defender-enable-pua-pup-adware-protection/

In a nutshell
There are two items you must add to the registry, to enable Pup/PUA protection, and ditto to disable it.
It is, as said in the article, only currently in Enterprise editions, so, in the event of a cumulative update, your manual addition to the registry may get wiped, and require repeating..
With that in mind, here are two reg files which will do it for you.

For anyone wondering, yes, PUA and PUP are pretty much the same. This reg hack will do both.
Nothing really illegal here. It is fully implemented by Microsoft, as I said, in the Enterprise editions but they have chosen not to offer it further down the line.

Attachments

• Enable_PUA_protection.reg
    500 bytes · Views: 679
  • Disable_PUA_protection.reg
    496 bytes · Views: 625

Ask a Question