SOLVED Defrag....De-Lovely

Bif

Reaction score
Quick question about defraging in 10, I was always under the impression that you only defrag "C" drive when doing so...well I just checked my "Default" defrag settings and everything is checked..I realize that it physically is all the same drive but should they all be checked? or should only the "C" drive be checked for defragmentation?

...or maybe I shouldn't be thinking of such things at this time of evening!:rolleyes:

Capture.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bif,

That is really bizarre in my view.

There is no point defragging the Recovery Drive unless its the one being created when you install Cumulative updates, as that may get a little messy given there are regular updates.

The only partition worth defragging would be the one with the OS on that you are hoping will perform better after a defrag. In this case the C partition I assume.

Bif

Reaction score
I agree Regedit32, I found it bizarre as well...I generally don't bother with the whole process but I thought I'd check the nooks and crannies to see what 10 had checked, and as usual was surprised at the findings.
Now I'm keeping fingers crossed that it didn't bugger anything up after all this time of weekly defrags..
I Will uncheck everything except C partition now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Now I am curious,

Does those settings get set even for those with Solid State Drives?

I sure hope not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... this is the default on my system

Capture.PNG

Nothing I've changed to alter it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that davehc.

I'll be the first to confess to my ignorance on this.

Excellent article that has taught me not to rely on old beliefs and realize modern techniques are far more advanced that I realized.

Reaction score
I think my C: SSD is being optimized once a month or so by the Windows internals as that article suggest will happen.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think my C: SSD is being optimized once a month or so by the Windows internals as that article suggest will happen.

Yes the article seems to suggest that is the idea. I am a little confused on that given Troubles posting where it shows weekly. I think they were saying that Windows recognizes its SSD via that Trim or the dfrgui and then sets it to once a month for the SSD.

Not entirely sure; but it does seem defragging is needed on SSDs just not as often as the HDDs.

Presumably, the settings you see are overridden if its a SSD.

Reaction score
Well it is showing 19 days since the last 'optimize'. I am running the latest production W10 Home.

Reaction score
Great article!
I think the article mentioned Windows will recognize an SSD. Windows will defrag an SSD on a monthly schedule, and only if Windows determines defragging is required.

Reaction score
@Bif Said "maybe I shouldn't be thinking of such things at this time of evening!:rolleyes:
Bif We are glad you got out of bed because Windows Defrag was keeping you awake.
Look what we all learned today.:)

Ask a Question