Dell Precision 390

Reaction score
This is very old workstation Windows xp pro was installed originally. I made upgrade to Vista ultimate, then Windows 7 ultimate when 7 was released. I passed the upgrade to 8 and 8.1 because the machine was not suitable for the versions told by the checking program. For Windows 10, I immediately reserved the upgrade when windows icon appeared on my task bar. But checker said that the PC can't be installed Windows 10 because the CPU is not suitable. And Microsoft automatic update procedure had failed 2 times shown in the list of update history. Then, I decided to try to upgrade manually with "MediaCreationTool.exe". The upgrade was failed as I expected, but I got valuable message because of NX support. I checked BIOS setting in Security tag. "Execute Disable" was "On" under factory default. So, I changed it to "Off". Then ran "MediaCreationTool.exe" again. This time everything went through to the completion without any interruption, but the upgrade procedure took 5 hours plus. And as a side effect, Nvidia graphic driver files were replaced with Microsoft Basic Graphic Driver and no function of Nvidia Control Panel , but the display function is OK so far.

Reaction score
And as a side effect, Nvidia graphic driver files were replaced with Microsoft Basic Graphic Driver and no function of Nvidia Control Panel , but the display function is OK so far.

That issue has nothing to do with the fact that you were installing Win 10 with Media Creation Tool.
That issue has been around since the Insider Preview builds.
Windows Update has this nasty habit of installing drivers that the users may or may not need. And, because Windows updates are set to be downloaded and installed automatically, it has created problems for some users who end up with new drivers that won't work.
I don't know how MS is going to correct that. It has been a while.

Do some googling yourself, You'll find registry tweak that claims to restore Manual Windows Update option.
I am against that and therefore I won't post the link.

Ask a Question