Desklamp wakens computer from sleep

Reaction score
I have a new (June 2016) good quality computer, and a desklamp, also good quality. The desklamp has an 11 w fluorescent bulb, (one tube folded into two, a very commomn design). When switched on it flickers for a second or so. Suddenly, since early December, whenever I switch the desklamp on or off while the comp. is asleep, it is woken up. For me, this is very annoying. Oddly, the same thing happened with my last computer, built for me in January 2015. Again, after about nine months, it also developed this fault!

I have a Transient Voltage Surge Supressor (it looks like a 230 V three-pin plug with also a socket) into which the comp. is plugged. It has no effect.

What can I do please?

Reaction score
Can you temporarily replace the lamp with one that has an LED or incandescent bulb? Does the computer have a camera?

I do wonder if the ballast for the lamp is failing.

Reaction score
My thoughts too as the problem just recently appeared. A surge suppressor looks at voltage spikes, ballasts limit inrush currents by causing the current to lag the voltage. Ballast are to complex to get into here. Do as Tim mentioned and that should do the trick.

Reaction score
...The desklamp has an 11 w fluorescent bulb, (one tube folded into two, a very commomn design). When switched on it flickers for a second or so...
The ballast is going bad. It probably has an older magnetic ballast, newer ones are electronic. Yours is not replaceable. Get a lamp that uses a standard Edison base & put a 60W LED lamp in it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IS this a desktop or a laptop computer that is suffering from the problem?

Reaction score
Can you temporarily replace the lamp with one that has an LED or incandescent bulb? Does the computer have a camera?

I do wonder if the ballast for the lamp is failing.
The socket for the lamp is designed for that type of fluorescent bulb and noting else fits it.

My computer does not have a camera. But how would that have helped?

Reaction score
The ballast is going bad. It probably has an older magnetic ballast, newer ones are electronic. Yours is not replaceable. Get a lamp that uses a standard Edison base & put a 60W LED lamp in it.
I think you are right, (good quality task lamps are expensive. Sigh!)

Reaction score
The next time it wakes run the command below and see if it shows what woke the system.

powercfg -lastwake

Otherwise, move the lamp to another plug, preferably not on the same circuit. Check what wires go next to the lamp, such as an Ethernet cable. If you have a wireless keyboard or mouse, move them away from the lamp and try a wired device instead.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Its a desktop, bought new in July 2016.
OK..... thanks
I was just reading an article about the "reed switch" in laptops (the sensor that tells you laptop what to do when you close the lid) and how the proximity of various other electrical devices can emit enough EMF to effect it.
Causing it to wake up or sleep unexpectedly..... even phones or tablets or other mobile devices.

Sorry, just thought I would ask.

Reaction score
I think you are right, (good quality task lamps are expensive. Sigh!)
Std. LED bulbs used to be expensive, too. 4ft LED's are still expensive.
I upgraded all my fluorescent 4ft light fixtures with electronic ballasts. Have to do a bit of rewiring. Huge difference, no start delay, no flickering. T8 ballast will light a T12 bulb.

Reaction score
The socket for the lamp is designed for that type of fluorescent bulb and noting else fits it.

My computer does not have a camera. But how would that have helped?

I know no other bulb would fit your lamp ..that is why I said ' another lamp'

I wondered if the flicker was causing a signal from a camera to wake the machine. Never heard of it happening but who knows with the new Windows Hello system.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Suddenly, since early December, whenever I switch the desklamp on or off while the comp. is asleep, it is woken up.
That's only the last month or so.
I assume that you had the same configuration prior to that and the problem was not present??

Have you added any new wireless adapters / dongles (Keyboard, Mouse, Bluetooth, IR, RF, etc.), or......
Have you upgraded the firmware and or software driver packages for any such devices that you may be using with your computer.
Anything in close proximity that may be getting hit with EMF interference from the table lamp?
You say
When switched on it flickers for a second or so.
Has it always done that? Even when it was new out of the box or has that just started?

Reaction score
The next time it wakes run the command below and see if it shows what woke the system.

powercfg -lastwake

Otherwise, move the lamp to another plug, preferably not on the same circuit. Check what wires go next to the lamp, such as an Ethernet cable. If you have a wireless keyboard or mouse, move them away from the lamp and try a wired device instead.

Thanks.
On powercfg -lastwake, I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\STEVECOMP>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: USB\VID_1A2C&PID_0E24\6&238a1638&0&2
Friendly Name:
Description: USB Composite Device
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

C:\Users\STEVECOMP>​
Doesn't mean much to me. The desklamp woke the computer. It has a ballast and a fluorescent bulb. "USB Composite Device" doesn't seem to fit.

Reaction score
Would your desk lamp happen to be beside your modem or a USB cable connection? Relocating the lamp may help.

Reaction score
Instance Path: USB\VID_1A2C&PID_0E24\6&238a1638&0&2
.​

From what I can find it might be your keyboard. To verify, use the device manager to open properties for the device. Go to Details and use the drop down menu to look at the Hardware ID.

The command only lists the last thing which woke the system, so you may have caught it at a bad time. Or whatever it is doesn't register as a device or communication.

Electromagnet interference and cause spikes in a system which could be read as some type of input. If the keyboard were wireless, possible interference could be involved with that also.

It could even be something such as the act of turning on the lamp causes the desk to vibrate enough to move the mouse... ;)

Reaction score
Thanks folks. My computer man said that the electromagnetic spike produced by flickering fluorescent bulbs is on a wavelength very close to that computers "use" or are "sensitive to". Therefore you often get interference (if the lamp flickers).

I have tried everything suggested but the compact fluorescent lamp ("CFL") stick-type in my desk/task lamp always flickered when being switched on or off. I tested another lamp we already have in another room which has a spiral CFL, which never flickered, or gave trouble even when close to the computer. I have given up and bought an anglepoise-type John Lewis Elliot Task lamp (£65). It takes an Edison Screw. Having searched the Internet for an 11 watt ES CFL which has a Daylight colour of light (most are warm white) I eventually found one at Amazon - £6.48! (they are very scarce).

Hopefully, after all this work and expense, my desk and my computer will live in peace.