SOLVED Desktop appears from different signed-in account

Reaction score
I noticed after a Windows 10 repair install that the desktop that appears isn't the desktop from the user account with which I'm signed in. In fact, that user account is no longer listed in user accounts, but its files still appear in C:\[my computer name]\Users. How do I get the correct desktop to appear?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm certain that, that seemed clear and concise to you as you were typing, but I am a bit confused.
My first suggestion is that you give it some time and a couple reboots just to see if it manages to self sort itself out.

What form did the "repair install" take?
Did you perform an in-place upgrade repair and install Windows 10 overtop itself or did you employ another method?

IF I understand correctly and that is in doubt.....
Prior to the repair (whatever form that may have taken) you had a User Name for the sake of specificity let's call him JohnSmith.
NOW.... you are logging in as that user (JohnSmith) but the desktop you are seeing is not the desktop that you saw, using the same user name prior to the repair???
BUT
That user profile folder exists in C:\Users\JohnSmith along with all associated subfolders and files (Desktop, Documents, Music, etc., etc.)

First question....
IS there a second profile folder in C:\Users?
With another name or perhaps a suffix such as JohnSmith.000
OR
Any other unfamilar user profile folder?
Often you can associate date and time stamps to determine which one is currently being used.

Reaction score
Thanks, Trouble.

This problem has been with me for a while. Reboots don't help.

I reset Windows 10 on top of itself by way of downloaded installation media (ISO) and kept my files.

I did not log in as my usual user name. The desktop I'm seeing is that of the account I used, but that account name doesn't appear in Accounts.

A second profile folder in C:\Users? No. And none with a suffix as you suggest.

No other unfamiliar user profile folders--except those that Windows creates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked for a
C:\Windows.old folder to see if there might be anything there that you're looking for?

Reaction score
I'm not looking for anything. I used installation media (DVD with the latest iso file) to reset my PC while saving my files. I recall having some account trouble then signing in, so I may have caused this problem myself. I notice that some programs default to a user that's no longer listed in \Users. If I reset my PC again, can I ensure starting with the correct account? Resetting removes accounts, right? I do have critical data backed up, so I can restore data and programs, if necessary.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IS this Windows Home or Pro?
I recall having some account trouble then signing in, so I may have caused this problem myself
I'm still not even sure.... what the "problem" actually is?
Why wouldn't you just create a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) and sort things out by copying the contents of the profile sub-folders into their appropriate containers and when you had everything working the way you want simply delete whatever you didn't want to keep, much the same way that you would recover from a corrupt user profile.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile
OR
Since you mention that
I do have critical data backed up, so I can restore data and programs, if necessary.
You can, if you wish, always perform a custom clean install and dispense with the "reset", "repair" stuff altogether.

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not quite ready yet to do a reset or other type of reinstallation.

I have a local administrative account. Can I transfer program settings from one user account to my local administrative account? How would I do that in Windows 10 Home?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I transfer program settings
Not sure what you mean by "program settings".
Programs are typically installed globally (for all users) unless otherwise configured. IF they require specific settings then those may very well be unique to a specific user and not easily transferable.
There may be instances where you will find it necessary to reinstall or repair a program installation. Some will offer a "repair" option during a re-install, depending on the individual program.
As far as transferring profile container contents, the process is relatively easy, usually copy the contents from C:\Users\OldUserName\Documents to C:\Users\NewUserName\Documents stepping through each respective container and their subfolders and files.
For the most part it is often suggested that you use a third account that is a member of the local administrators group to perform the task. I will often just enable the hidden administrator account for this purpose and then disable it again after the task is complete.

Reaction score
Not sure by what you mean that the desktop is different. I believe after a repair the desktop I had was the same but the desktop personalization of shortcuts, This PC, User ... had to be customized again after the repair.
What are you actually seeing on the "new" desktop a recycle bin and a couple of other favorite default icons?
I think you may have to do a right click on the desktop and personalize a second time and re-create the custom icons.

Reaction score
@Norton: I'm seeing different files on the desktops, not personalization settings.

@ Trouble: I think I prefer to do some kind of reinstallation at this point. The two resets available to me by way of Settings > Recovery include "Keep my files" and "Remove everything." The options available on the DVD I created with the Windows 10 ISO and media creation tool include "Keep personal files and apps," Keep personal files only," and "[Keep] nothing."

Which of these options would erase user accounts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Which of these options would erase user accounts?
The one that I suggested above.... a custom clean install, performed by booting from the installation media and not choosing to perform an upgrade.
IF, you want a real fresh start that's the way I would go about it.

The "keep nothing" choice is suppose to be the equivalent.
Is it? I don't know. Never have done it. When I reach that level, I choose to wipe everything and clean install the OS from scratch.
That way I'm absolutely certain that my registry is pristine and I don't wonder, what may or may not have been left laying around somewhere by using their utility to do something I can easily do for myself.

Reaction score
Thank you, Trouble, for sticking with me on this!

You can, if you wish, always perform a custom clean install and dispense with the "reset", "repair" stuff altogether.
I'm not clear on how to do this. I see no option on the installation DVD for it. The only option that seems close is the "Remove everything" option in Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to actually boot your computer from the installation media.
AND
Even then you'll get a message / dialog box suggesting that "IF you intend to upgrade you should restart from you OS" or some nonsense like that, read it and with the fact that you wish to install (clean), not upgrade, answer whatever it says appropriately.

Reaction score
SOLVED! The reset with everything removed worked. No more phantom user files! I'm in the midst of reinstalling programs and customizing, but I'm almost done with that, too. Thanks, Trouble, for sticking with me on this! :)

Reaction score
That's great news! Customizing is a pain but necessary and well worth the effort.

Ask a Question