Desktop Faint Icons

Reaction score
The icons on my desktop are very faint, and only become bright when I click on them . What has gone wrong with my desktop?
Looking forward to reading an answer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A bit of an unusual problem and a may take a bit of detective work to find the cause.

Dimmed icons (anywhere) are typically a result of the "hidden" property being set on the container.
That container would normally be......
C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop

You might start there and right click that container and choose "Properties" from the context menu and under the "General" tab see if, for some reason, the "Hidden" property check box has been checked.
IF so, uncheck it and click OK.

Remember that such properties can be inherited from the parent container, so you may have to apply that same technique to the container(s) above it in the hierarchical tree.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the "hidden" was not ticked. So, that is not the problem it seems.
Any other ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry nothing else comes to mind off hand.
Assuming that you have the latest video adapter driver installed, you've not messed with adaptive brightness nor the "night light" feature. I can't think of anything else except perhaps rebuilding your icon cache and thumbnail database and see if that has any impact
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10
There's a small file at the bottom of that article that makes the process automated, you might want to try that "Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder"

There used to be a slider in settings to adjust the brightness but evidently they've deprecated that.
Some laptops have a function key that you can employ to brighten or dim the screen, if your computer is a laptop.

There are some advanced system properties settings under performance which you might want to look at and see if anything there looks unusual

Capture.PNG

The image above reflects my settings and my desktop icons appear OK.

Ask a Question