SOLVED Desktop icons won’t let me place them on screen my way

Reaction score
I’ve been having trouble with my Windows 10 desktop resolution and icon placement, which started when I tried to change the resolution in an online game. I have a 4K monitor, which is set to 3840 x 2160, and it’s been a mess getting the screen to stay at that resolution. I think it’s stabilized now at that high rate, but I’m no longer able to place the icons in the locations on the screen that I want them. All the icons are gathered on the left side of the screen in no special order, and when I try to drag them to other spots on the screen, they just fly back to their original spot. I’m assuming that all this trouble I’m having is the result of persistent bugs in Windows 10, but is there any kind of fix to make sure that my resolution stays at 3840 x 2160, and that I can move my desktop icons the way I like?

Reaction score
As for my desktop icons all gathering on the left, I discovered the following fix:
1. Right click in an open space on Desktop
2. Click "View"
3. Uncheck both of the following: (a) "Auto arrange icons", and (b) "Align icons to grid"

Note: I did nothing to knowingly move and freeze the desktop icons to the left side of the screen.
Also, I tried the Windows 10 solution to making the print darker on my screen (after a lot of searching), and it sure didn't work.
My 3840 x 2160 screen seems to have stabilized, and I can only hope it was the result of a bug fix update. It's a hassle correcting screen resolution errors that are the fault of the system.

Reaction score
Yeah - but a right click on my recently installed Windows 10 does not show "view" on a drop-down menu

Ask a Question