SOLVED Desktop Icons Won't "Stick" Where I Put Them

Reaction score
My desktop icons won't "stick" where I put them, and it's never done this before until a couple of weeks ago.

Now suddenly every time I log off and then log back on, all icons are scrambled on the desktopl. If I arrange them all again and then right-click Refresh, they all pop back over there again!

What could be going on here?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you right-click on Desktop and select View

Are either of the highlighted items checked?

img.png

The Auto arrange icons in particular may be your problem, but the Align icons to grid can also affect you if you are not moving your icons in a grid format.

Reaction score
Try the above first but if scrambling persists try downloading Desktop OK. I use it and like it.

Reaction score
"Align icons to grid" and "Show desktop icons" are checked.
But I do no think thsese were the cause of the problem.
What I did that seem to have solved my problem was:
1. Right-click on desktop;
2. Select "Personalize";
3. Click on "Lock screen icon";
4. Make sure the button under "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" is set to "Off" position.

That's what worked for me and since not experienced the problem again.

Reaction score
My desktop icons won't "stick" where I put them, and it's never done this before until a couple of weeks ago.

Now suddenly every time I log off and then log back on, all icons are scrambled on the desktopl. If I arrange them all again and then right-click Refresh, they all pop back over there again!

Download Iconoid at http://www.sillysot.com/ and all your problems will be fixed. Small and works great!

Reaction score

I have the same problem and like yourself it all started about a month ago when I restarted my laptop after windows update all my desktop icons had moved and no matter how I arrange them they will all move again on a restart :-(

Reaction score
How about a real simple solution: anytime you want to rearrange or add an icon, simply uncheck the "Lock the Taskbar" first, then do your thing and once completed, go back and recheck "Lock the Taskbar". Just remember to follow this procedure each and every time.
1. Uncheck "Lock the Taskbar"
2. Rearrange or add
3. Recheck "Lock the Taskbar"

Brian Pineault

Reaction score
"Align icons to grid" and "Show desktop icons" are checked.
But I do no think thsese were the cause of the problem.
What I did that seem to have solved my problem was:
1. Right-click on desktop;
2. Select "Personalize";
3. Click on "Lock screen icon";
4. Make sure the button under "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" is set to "Off" position.

That's what worked for me and since not experienced the problem again.

Same thing happened to me at work and it was driving me crazy. Just started out of nowhere. I tried your solution and so far it has worked. Thanks!! :)

Reaction score

Even though the Auto Arrange is not selected for Desktop Icons, Select and deselect it once, and your problem will be solved...

Ask a Question