SOLVED Desktop.ini icon on desktop

Reaction score
Don't know how or when it got there, but I now have a desktop.ini icon on my desktop. When I open it, it says:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

Can this be safely deleted?

Reaction score
What happened was somehow the Hide protected operating system files has been UN-hide.
Follow these steps and make the change.......................

In the search box next to Start, type file explorer options > at the pop up box, click File Explorer Options > click the View tab at top > put a check mark at " Hide protected operating system files " > click OK when done.

When done, those desktop.ini will disappear.

hide protected opearting system file.jpg

Reaction score
I have followed the directions to check "Hide protected operating systems file (Recommended)". It still keeps appearing. How do I stop it from appearing on my desktop? Thanks and have a great day.

Reaction score
I have followed the directions to check "Hide protected operating systems file (Recommended)". It still keeps appearing. How do I stop it from appearing on my desktop? Thanks and have a great day.

The above was probably for other versions of Windows. My computer is Win 10.

Re do the above procedure and if the box is cleared re-check it, ( if it is not cleared clear it and re-check it).
Then click on apply at the bottom and then click ok. This should stop it. It did for me.

Reaction score
What happened was somehow the Hide protected operating system files has been UN-hide.
Follow these steps and make the change.......................

In the search box next to Start, type file explorer options > at the pop up box, click File Explorer Options > click the View tab at top > put a check mark at " Hide protected operating system files " > click OK when done.

When done, those desktop.ini will disappear.

View attachment 1346
Followed your instructions and my desk top ini files have now gone, Very grateful for such a concise and accurate fix

Reaction score
Helio, I am currently experiencing the desktop.ini problem. However, there's a mix opinions related to the nature of the file itself, I've seen people call it trojan cascade kind of virus and I've seen people call it Unhided operational system file. I was wondering which one of these options is the more accurate one, in order to acknowledge what I am supposed to do next.

Ask a Question