Desktop redundant?

Reaction score
As I now have icons only on the start page and nothing on my desktop, how can I skip opening on desktop andopen directly on the start page?

Reaction score
You can try this. I found it unsatisfactory for several reasons. But if you don't like it, easy enough to return to the defaults. But, have you tried merely using the Windows Key?

Click on Personalization and then on Start. You will see the following window.
Here under Start behaviors, select " Use full-screen Start when in the Desktop".
Now click on your Start Button, and see your Start Menu cover your full screen.
To enable Windows 10 Start Screen, you will have to enable Tablet Mode in Windows 10. To enable Widows 10 Tablet Mode, click on the Notifications icon in the taskbar. This will open the Notifications panel .
Click on Tablet mode. The Start Screen will be enabled. This will allow you to switch between the Desktop and tablet mode. To see the Start Screen, click on Winkey or your Start Button.
The taskbar will be changed. Open apps will not be present on the taskbar,only a back button, a Search icon and the Task View button.
To launch new apps and desktop software you will now have to do from the Start Screen.
If you want to see open apps, you will have to click on the Task View button, or cycle through them using Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut.

Reaction score
Don't discount Classic Shell. It can create many customization for you and make the desktop AND control panel so much easier to use.

Reaction score
Classic Shell, a free download program, let's me look at my Windows 8.1, or at work, Windows 10 computers that look and feel like the old XP or Windows 7. After the OS install, I, and many install this program as the second and most useful program. It gives you a desktop. It pretty much does away with tiles, unless you want them. It gives you a classic look on the start menu and ability to tweak and customize your Windows 10. Better view is just to look here: http://www.classicshell.net/ I would not run Windows 10 without it.

Ask a Question