Desktop shortcuts not working.

Reaction score
Hi, A couple of weeks ago my desktop shortcut and start menu icons have stopped working. The only one that will work is Microsoft Edge. I upgraded to Windows 10 before Christmas and all has been fine till now. The only way I can run anything is by going into the program folder and running things from there. Any ideas please? Thanks, Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Dennis and welcome to the forum.
Can you take the time to create another user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) and then....
Log off as you and log on as the new user that you just created and determine if the problem is global or unique to only your current user profile.

Reaction score
HY, Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in answering, we have been away for the weekend. I have already tried this but I did this again this morning. However it has made no deference at all. If I right click Windows explorer I get a list of the last few items that were opened and left clicking one of these opens Explorer. This will not work on any other icons. Thanks once again. Dennis.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to perform and in-place upgrade repair. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Installation media can be obtained here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version
That will provide the latest available version of the installation media that will support an upgrade repair of both Windows 10 Home and Pro, you only concern is to make sure you get the correct bit version to match your current install.

If you already have the latest ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Reaction score
Well now, When I closed my computer down last night it updated and closed as normal. After turning it back on this morning it all seems to be back working fully again. Must have been the update that did it. Thanks for the help. Dennis

Ask a Question